November 25, 2008

Melancholy

Not much to report today. Nick & I will be off to our "downtown doctors" tomorrow. Nick will head to the HOP for his routine blood draw and visit with his nurse practitioner. I do not have his counts from the last visit, so I hope to have the results from today and Monday soon. Nick was seen by the graft vs. host nurse on Monday. She was very pleased with the way his skin looked and did not seem overly concerned by his still quite elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. Apparently, it takes a while for these numbers to come down, so "not to worry!" HA! Now that is easier said than done. I myself am off to have an X-ray of my hip due to much pain and aching of unknown origin. My emotional state runs the gamut and I never know when I will be tapping in an elevator or crying in a bathroom. This journey has been and will remain a challenge for us all. Hiking through the woods with no map, no compass and no way of knowing what scariness lies in waiting...well let me just say, it takes a toll. I guess we are all coping as best we can and continue to pray and hope for Nick to get through these woods unscathed. (If we can even begin to imagine how all that he has already been through will not forever change him in one way or another!) Anyway, I will end this post with a poem that I found...I like it.

"The Peace of Wild Things"

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

~Wendall Berry

No comments: