First the X-ray people came in and woke him up to do a chest X-ray, which sent him into a breathing fit, which is never good. He usually has to have some sedation medication to keep him calm when this happens and it takes him a long time to settle out after this happens. Then right on the heels of this episode the thoracic doctor shows up to try to get a consent signed for the procedure. Of course, he is in a hurry because he is coming up between OR cases and cannot really spend a lot time talking to Nick and/or answering questions! Also, most of these doctors are not allowing enough time for Nick to communicate his questions etc. since he insists on writing everything out on a pad of paper. I am not sure why he doesn't type on the computer, but, so far he has not wanted to communicate this way. Ultimately, Nick signed the consent, but, he does not like to be rushed and likes to spend a lot of time thinking things through and considering all the angles. This is the curse or the blessing of his engineer's mind. I personally thing it is a good thing, but, sometimes too much thinking can delay much needed treatment.
There is definite sense of urgency to everything around here, sometimes justified, sometimes not. The doctors basically want to do most things on THEIR schedule, not ours! Tonight is a classic example. When Nick wanted to wait until tomorrow everyone was jumping up and down on the furniture and nagging Nick about how crucial this was that he do this today....once the consent is signed, then it becomes a huge game of "hurry up and wait!" And I mean wait!! Then irony of all ironies, the surgeon cancels and now all of a sudden it is OK to wait another day!!!
So for tonight I feel like we have gotten another reprieve. Nick has actually perked up a bit this evening. For some reason, he usually feels better in the evenings. They started him on another antibiotic earlier today for a possible bacteria growing in the fluid they took yesterday. Nick's fever has gone away since then!! I was hoping that Nick would have one of his favorite nurse's again tonight, but, alas she does not seem to be here. Of course, he has a nurse who doesn't really know him that well, but, he is a nice guy and he has had Nick way back in the day. I find it is so much easier for me to get out of here and get home to rest when I am confident and comfortable with his night nurse! I hope to be heading home soon and try to catch up on some much needed rest so I will be ready for another day of ramped of stress hormones tomorrow.
Please keep Nick in your thoughts and prayers. It is good to know that we have so many supporters out there ready to come to our aid whenever needed. I hope you all will be ready when we call.

8 comments:
Diane,
I will be praying that today is the day they finally figure out what is going on with Nick's lungs. Hopefully they can fix it, so Nick can move forward and go home!!!!!!
Mary
Diane
I had to smile at the picture..it looks like Mickey!!!! Our thoughts are never far from you all...and our phone line is on 24-7 for you guys!!! Hugs and love to Nick..
The Donoghues
Diane and family,
You and his doctors are always in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that today is the day that they are able to get the answers they need to get Nick back on his feet again.
God Bless You.
Chris Reppert
Think of us as your revolutionary "Minutemen" ready to be called up to join in the battle at a moments notice. Love, thoughts and prayers continually,
Vic
Today is the day! Positive thoughts to all of you all day as always.
Just call and we will come! Our slogan here is "The road is never too long to a friend's home" and that includes hospital rooms!
We love you,
The Tinsleys
Pippen Family,
I check in daily, as I hope that there will be happy news. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers. Keep on fighting Nick- you've got so many people you don't even know behind you. You can do this.
Whatever you need, whenever you need it. Please ask, we've been waiting to be helpful, but will never intrude. You remain in our thoughts and prayers........
Diane,
I have so many people praying for Nick that you will never know, but call and email daily to check on how he is doing. Hopefully all of the prayers and positive thoughts will make today the day that Nick begins his journey of recovery.
Stacy Allwein
(Kate's Cousin)
Post a Comment