December 24, 2012

Another Christmas Eve Without You

There are no words to describe the pain of losing your child. No words to describe the painful reality that they will never be a part of this physical world ever again. 

On this, our fourth Christmas without Nickolas, I am longing for my son to be here with us.  My heart cries out for him every day and there is no answer...only the silent echoes of pain and loss. 

I sit alone here with the undecorated, unlit tree that was dragged down from the attic by Glenn and Sara.  They didn't decorate it, they don't even plug it in.  I don't know why they brought it down. The holiday has never been the same since I sat here in terror wondering if Nick's last Christmas would be his last....I wanted to be wrong so badly.  When I went to my brother's house for a family gathering yesterday, I was taken aback by the stark contrast between our homes.  It seems like the grief is palpable here....it colors everything we do and say and feel.  I don't know how to change it...I don't know if I want to....I don't know anything. 
                                 I am lost.      I am lost.      I am lost.

“How could you go about choosing something that would hold the half of your heart you had to bury?”  ~Jody Picoult

“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.”  ~Jandy Nelson, The Sky Is Everywhere

“Adam is crying and somewhere inside of me I am crying, too, because I'm feeling things at last. I'm feeling not just the physical pain, but all that I have lost, and it is profound and catastrophic and will leave a crater in me that nothing will ever fill.”  ~Gayle Forman, If I Stay

“In time, in time they tell me, I'll not feel so bad. I don't want time to heal me. There's a reason I'm like this.
I want time to set me ugly and knotted with loss of you, marking me. I won't smooth you away.
I can't say goodbye.” ~ China Mieville, The Scar


I love you always and forever my sweet boy.  Please come home soon.  Mom xo

No comments: