June 30, 2009

Balancing Act

Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we can see Life with a clearer view again. Alex Tan

Life is a precarious balance right now, one misstep and everything may come unraveled. Nick is still on the breathing machine, but Monday was a quiet day and there were no untoward events. Nick had another chest CT scan done on Monday. The critical care transport team took him to the Weinberg scanner (not the one that is a mile away) and Nick did very well. Nick has actually been very awake, despite getting mega amounts of sedation. He is not always able to remember everything, but, he is able to comprehend very well. Nick has been communicating by writing on a pad of paper. This takes a lot of energy and time but he's doing it. He is fully aware that he is on the breathing tube but he doesn't understand everything that has happened in the past five days that have led him to this place. At times he wakes from sleep and he is confused and a little dazed, but, it doesn't take long before he gets oriented and is calling for his pencil and pad. He actually wrote the he wants the "full run down" on the last few days...I told Nick that I will gladly fill him in when he is off the sleepy medicine so he can actually remember what I tell him. And there is so much, it is just too overwhelming to hear while you are loopy on meds that won't let you remember.

The CT scan did show an area of schmutziness in the right lower lobe. This could be infection or old junk that is stuck down there. So tomorrow the pulmonary doctors will be looking down into Nick's lung with a scope to see if they can get some of it out of there to open up this lobe of the lung and send specimens for testing. This could be what is keeping Nick from getting off the ventilator. My theory is that when he had the seizure he aspirated into his lungs and that has now turned into a pneumonia. Regardless, if it is a pneumonia, they may be able to get more specific on the type of bug that is causing it and treat it more aggressively. This bronchoscopy will be done in Nick's room and should only take twenty minutes or so from start to finish. The doctors don't seem to be too worried about Nick undergoing this test, I hope and pray they are right. I guess there is a chance that they might try to get Nick off the tube tomorrow, but, it is too early to tell yet. We will have to see how things go with the bronchoscopy procedure. What they find and how he tolerates the scoping will determine how fast things progress going forward.

In the meanwhile, Nick has been talking about all the food he wants. He has been writing so many things that he wants to eat like doughnuts (from Fractured Prune), coffee, oyster stew (who knew Nick liked oyster stew??), Chipotle and more. Tonight, it broke my heart (and made me cry all the way to the car) when I had given Nick a kiss and said good night when he signaled that he wanted to write. He asked me to bring him an "everything bagel" for the morning. I guess he forgot that he can't eat while he has the breathing tube in and I guess he has had it for so long, he is almost used to it in some crazy way. It is so sad...cause in a way, I think the ventilator helps him breathe easier and he is feeling hungry, and he is on a bunch of loopy medicine, so it makes perfect sense for him to be asking me to bring him some breakfast food. And it makes me so sad that I can't do that for him right now. Soon, please God, soon.

It is late and I must go to bed. Tomorrow will be another long day. I just wanted to let every one know that Nick is still fighting! He seemed in a little better place emotionally, although, I can tell he is still very anxious and still very tired of this whole breathing tube thing. I will try to update again soon. In the meanwhile, thank you to everyone for you continued prayers, support and good vibes. I had some wonderful moments with Nick today. I am thankful for every moment I get to spend with this wonderful man who is my son.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Walter Bagehot

10 comments:

mary said...

Diane,
I am not sure who is more amazing Nick or YOU!!!! Hang in there. Your love and courage is an inspiration to everyone.
Love,
Mary E
Rachel's mom)

Anonymous said...

Diane,
For so long I have started my day with your blog and the prayers, good thoughts, and love are always being sent your way. I know Nick is fighting so hard and I believe with all my heart that God's love is with him, holding him close, at every step.

Love,
Debbie Kosmer

Anonymous said...

Know that with God, ALL things are possible.

Annie - Steven's mom said...

That rock pile balancing in the picture is called an Inukshuk. They are built to show the way, to indicate where necessary items are left or to mark where food is....... They are good, and may this particular one be pointing to the start of better days for Nick and for you all.
love and light
Annie

Anonymous said...

You are amazing and I know where Nick gets it from. Nick definitely gets his strength from you. Thanks for sharing and we will continue all of our prayers for Nick and your family.

Stacy Allwein
(Kate's cousin)

Anonymous said...

Diane,

I have been reading and praying for you, Nick and the rest of your family and I just want you to know that. Thank you for sharing, even though it takes energy, because you have an entire netwowrk of people out here who care about what you are going through and supporting you in prayer.

May God bless you all and give you strength!!!!

Mark Engelhaupt

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I just wanted to tell you, you are a very remarkable person. The strength you give your son is like none other. Nick is one of the luckiest young men in the this world to have you as a mom. We pray for your family and Nick everyday. Always remember we are thinking of you.

Love,
Tammy Cupp and family

Anonymous said...

He is indeed a wonderful man and you and your family are a pillar of strength and courage in this fight for life. Nick once again has pulled his cape out and is trying to soar through this. We have him in our thoughts everyday and pray for his peace and comfort.

Love and friendship
Donoghue's

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,

I had to smile when I read your post...donuts and oyster stew. I pray that he is soon able to have that and his everything bagel and all the things his heart desires.

Joyce (gina's sister)

Unknown said...

Diane, I just heard about you and Nick from Joyce. You and he will have my prayers every day. In the meantime, we put it in God's hands. Maybe the fact that he has a new set of Drs means someone will look into his case with new eyes. God Bless
Marge