July 07, 2009

Holding On To Dreams

Still reaching for that brass ring, today was a very rough day. Nick was not doing well this morning and the doctors were concerned that he would "tire out" and have to go back on the breathing machine. Nick was pretty adamant that he did not want to go back on the breathing tube.

The doctors were suddenly on top of getting the neurology doctors to come and give Nick an exam. We had about a bazillion doctors at the bedside talking loudly and seemingly ignoring their patient who lay in bed breathing for his life.
Long story short, it was decided (FINALLY) that there might actually be something else going on that is impacting Nick's ability to breathe effectively. They think he might have a neuromuscular disorder, specifically Guillen-Barre syndrome. Nick will be having quite a few tests in the upcoming days. I pray that they find something they can fix!

Nick is now back on the vent. After listening to doctors all day and meeting with Dr. Frosty, Nick changed his mind. I am not sure how I feel about this decision, but, Nick & I were able to talk about it briefly. Nick was comfortable with a set time frame in which the doctors will try to find out what is wrong and if things are not moving forward the tube will be taken out. I will try to give a better explanation of thing tomorrow. For now, I am exhausted and must go to sleep.

A man's dreams are an index to his greatness. ~Zadok Rabinowitz

I have learned, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
~ Henry David Thoreau

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
A glimmer of hope that they will be able to treat his breathing difficulties. That's good news. Sounds like Nick is thawing out Dr. Frosty?? Looking forward to the next post and praying for divine intervention....

joyce

Anonymous said...

Finally, maybe something else to go on....our fingers are crossed!!!! Keep the strong stance Diane...Dr.Frosty has met his match.. :) Nick, were praying for you and sending our love.

Love,
Donoghue's

mary said...

Diane,
Hope. I think we are all embracing it for you and Nick. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Love,
Mary E

Anonymous said...

I work with Glen at RES. I am praying for Nick and your family. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. When I was in my early 20's I had Guillen Barre Syndrome. My symptoms were loss of feeling in nerves, difficulty breathing, loss of smell, couldn't shut my eyes,unable to walk, talk,eat,also a spike in BP etc. It is a paralysis of the nervous system. It runs it's course and then recovery is quick. I pray they find an answer for his condition. My prayers are with you.

Chris Reppert

Mr.Mike said...

Diane,
I work at Riverside.Your husband was my FIRST FRIEND there.I've met Nick several times(What a wonderful young man!!!)I just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with Nick and your WHOLE family.If there is ANYTHING I can do,day or night,PLEASE let me know.
"Mr. Mike" Powell

Vicki T. said...

Diane,

Whatever is happening, please know that our thoughts are with you every single day and we are still praying for Nick every single day. We know you are by his side taking care of him. Wish we could be by your side taking care of you. We love you.

The Tinsley Family