I am enjoying the hell out of this day and I am so happy that Nick has been able to summit this latest mountain! There is much work ahead, but, I know he will be up for the next peak once he regains some strength. My biggest worry is how his lungs will tolerate activity. Nick is very weak and his muscles have wasted away even more, if that is possible. The doctors have begun to taper his steroid dose, but, this will take quite a while as he has been on the steroids for many months. Unfortunately, the steroids contribute to the muscle wasting. I am very concerned about the level of weakness that Nick has right now, especially in his legs. I am not convinced that this is all related to recent events. I am withholding judgement for now, but, I just have a feeling about this.
The "new" set of doctors have been conspicuously absent. On July 1st, all of the interns and residents, and fellows start new! In addition, a new attending started as well. So basically there is not a single doctor here who knows Nick at all! Talk about frustration! And they don't really come in and get much information from us...I mean, really, what would we know? So I have been on guard duty at the door. Usually I have to filter everything through the nurses who come in with the doctors crazy orders and then send them back out to discuss with the MD's who can't be bothered to come in and talk to Nick or me. For example, the attending Dr. Wow, came in to impress upon Nick the importance of getting up, getting out of bed and doing physical therapy. Now, Nick is fully aware of the importance of all these things. However, my question is, has everyone forgotten that Nick's lungs are still not fixed? And, no one knows what is the matter with his lungs? Dr. Wow told Nick that "they" were going to turn him into an ATHLETE!! I was like....really?? REALLY!!! Can't wait to see that, hey, I'm all for it. Good luck with that....last time I checked functioning lungs were a pretty basic requirement for athletes!
None of these doctors even has a clue of Nick's condition over the past six months and more importantly over the past few weeks....for example, starting with his admission on June 5th! Since being admitted on June 5th, up until Nick's lung biopsy on June 19th, Nick had only gotten out of bed three times! That's like one time/week. Now why do they think that is?? Not because Nick doesn't want to get out of bed! Breathing and oxygenation are things we take for granted every day. We don't think about it, it just happens. I noticed that when Nick was on the breathing machine (when he was awake), his breathing was so comfortable for him that he almost forgot he was on the vent. I think that is why his energy level was so much better and his appetite was back, because he wasn't constantly worried about how he was going to maintain his breathing and he did not have to fear having a "breathing fit." I am not sure what all this means right now...I am going to see how things go. I would like to think that Nick was all better, or somehow through all of this Nick's lungs were miraculously fixed, but, I know that this will most likely not be the case. To have these doctors come in and act like all Nick needs is a good rehab/workout program is just ludicrous. If that was all Nick needed to do there would be no doubt he would be kickin' some serious John's Hopkins butt right now. Please continue to keep Nick in your prayers. After all this, we still do not know what is wrong with his lungs. I can only pray that the more time passes, perhaps his lungs will wake up and start working right of their own accord. For now, I will take the blessings that have been given, more time with Nick!
I used this picture of Nick and Kate camping because it reminds me of happier times and the joy in simple things, like campfires, roasted marshmallows and sleeping under a starry night sky.

8 comments:
Hi Diane!
I am super excited for Nick that he is off the breathing machine!!Todays prayers have been answered! I decided to send a comment instead of my usual private email response to you. This is just such wonderful news today!! Tell Nick that I hope his swallow eval comes out great so he can have some really yummy food!! I also just wanted to tell you again what a magnificent mother and guardian angel you are to Nick! We love you!
Vicki T.
Pippens,
I am so elated that Nick is off the vent!! I've been "talking" to Father Francis Seelos(a priest who lived in the 1800's and is being considered for sainthood for helping to heal a Baltimore woman of cancer) multiple times a day asking him to intervene on behalf of both our sons that they may be restored to good health. Really treading in unknown waters as I am not Catholic or religious for that matter. But, maybe there's something to it. Please let Nick know that we are thinking of him always and we love him very much.
Mrs. Diane,
I am so glad to hear the good news!! Just wanted to send you a piece of advice, if I may....ask for a consultation for plan of care with all of the docs involved where you can "fill them in". I had to do this for my great uncle. They balked at first, but I demanded it and it was VERY informative. I did this through the hospital social worker. It at least put all of the docs on the same page so they could truly work together, it gave us the full picture of the outlook and we got all of the lab/radiograph reports and what the docs felt they meant in one sitting instead of bits and pieces. I'm sorry you are going through the "changing of the guard", it is infuriating, but maybe new and fresh minds are exactly what Nick needs....with mom supervising of course :)
Diane,
Good for Nick and your family that he is off the tube and able to communicate! Having inconsistent medical personnel is definitely the most frustrating part of going through a long term illness. What I want to know is...what do the doctor's do when they are not "on duty"??? They only seem to be on once every 6 weeks at best! BTW...you crack me up with your names for all of these docs.
Glad you're enjoying some time together,
Maureen
Dear Diane,
All I can say is THANK YOU GOD"!!!Hold your ground with the doctors, they have no idea what they are telling with. Nothing is stronger then the bond between a wonderful mother and her child. Hang in there, and I believe once Nick can eat, he will be on the long road to recovery! Thanks for sharing the good news.
Mary
Diane, I got to read more of your posts. You and Nick and Glenn have been to Hell and back. You have been on my mind often today and I prayed for God's mercy for you each time.Love, Marge
Hi Diane and family,
Independence Day and I'm hoping it's a good day for Nick. I love the camping picture and Nick looks like the perfect outdoorsy kind of guy! I haven't seen him since you lived next door to Gina so he is etched in my mind as a little boy. As Marge said in her comment, you pop into my head so often and every time you do I say a little prayer.
Blessings,
joyce
Hey girl!
Congrats on the good news! Thinking of all of you and I have included you guys in my prayers over the months. Call any time. Miss you!
Deanna
Post a Comment