August 15, 2009

The Dark Things

Dreams In The Dusk

Dreams in the dusk,
Only dreams closing the day
And with the day's close going back
To the gray things, the dark things,
The far, deep things of dreamland.

Dreams, only dreams in the dusk,
Only the old remembered pictures
Of lost days when the days' loss
Wrote in tears the heart's loss.

Tears and loss and broken dreams
May find your heart at dusk.

~Carl Sandburg

 
Today has been a horrible day...I have spent so much time crying and grieving for my son. I have never felt such emotional pain. I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful wishes and support. I have no doubt I would not get through this without my family and friends to take care of me through this process. Today Nick was brought from Hopkins to a funeral home (by law the body of the deceased must make an appearance at the funeral home, no matter what kind of burial or funeral you want). I am having such a difficult time letting go of Nick's physical body. I had to see him just one more time. And so I did! And it was good! It was important to me to make sure that I stay with him right through to the end of this process (and I also wanted to make sure that all those damn tubes were taken out of him, and they were!) Glenn & I read him some letters that we wrote to him that we hope will soothe and comfort him. I gave him a card to take with him on his journey (and the letters) so he can read them again when he gets to his first happy place. At this hour, the cremation will be over and I will no longer have my boy to hold in my arms, to give me a hug, to dazzle me with that joyful smile, or to tell me how much he loves me. The pain of that loss is really quite unbearable right now.

Nick did not want a viewing in the traditional sense, so we are not having one. There are plans for a celebration of his life which is in the spirit of what Nick would want. There are NO set plans at this time, but, we are considering having something on his birthday of September 11th. I had hoped to get him to his one year anniversary of his bone marrow transplant and certainly to his next birthday. But, it was not meant to be. More importantly, I wanted him to be "better" on his birthday so he could really celebrate and return some normalcy to his life. I tried so hard to get him to his goal. He only just wanted to be better!!! Once again the "dark things" managed to steal this away from him and all of us. I HATE THE DARK THINGS! I know it will take time for me to get past the dark things and I am trying really hard to remember the good things. It is just that it hurts so much and I cannot bear it. I love you Nick...I miss you beyond measure.

19 comments:

Miss Vic said...

Dear Diane,
I'm so glad that you and Glenn were able to be with Nick one more time and share your letters with him. As the gift of your son, Nick, brought light and joy to your life while he was physically here with you, I pray that the light and joy of his spirit and memory, which nothing can dim and no one can take away, will help to brighten your dark places. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Glenn and Sara.
Love, Vic

"To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;" Ecclesiastes 3:1,4

mary said...

Dear Diane,

It is a time to grieve, so do just that. Glenn and Sara will understand because they need to also. I have no doubt that Nick will allow you some of that time, then his spirit will guide you to start feeling better and to start thinking of him and have tears of joy instead of the horrible pain you feel now. Nick will provide you with the courage to move on and live life to the fullest just like he tried so hard to do. Diane his physical presence may no longer be with you, but his spirit will always be there. This journey that you and Nick have been through have touched and influenced the lives of so many people. Anyone who has lived this nightmare with you or just read the blog has a piece of your and Nick's love and courage in their heart, so it will continue through their life time. I pray that this very dark time allows you to grieve and then rejoice your amazing son's life. I now Nick will provide you the willingness to move forward. i know Nick will greet you one day with open arms. and big hug and tell you how much he loves you. He will always be with you Diane.
Love,
Mary Eichelman

Vicki T. said...

Dear Diane,

Out thoughts and prayers are with you, Glen, Sara and all of your extended family that is hurting so deeply at this time.

Love always,
The Tinsley Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane,
I pray for even a few moments of peace for you each day. The pain is unbearable and you've had too much. I hope for good memories and some ease of your pain. Thank you for not only sharing Nick, but keeping us informed. Although you do not know me, I cared so much for Nick and feel so much compassion for your family. Please take care.

Stacy Allwein

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane, Glenn, and Sara,

I have no words to give you, no solacing spiel to try and remind you that Nick is in a better place. But please know that I consider your family to be one of the biggest inspirations in my young life. I have read your blogs, just aching in pain, thinking about your endless days in agony, and maybe it is because I have a 2 year old son, but my heart burns for your family. Please continue to be the inspirational people that led Nick through his entire life and made him the amazing person that we all knew. My thought and prayers will continue to be with you and the rest of your family.

Love,
Jessica Burkindine(formerly Hayhurst)

Anonymous said...

Diane,Glenn, Sara, Kate

Although there are no comforting words at a time like this I believe Nick will guide you through this. His beautiful smile, memories, love for all of you, strenght, determination, patience and so much more was a tribute to those who raised him and loved him. I am glad you got to see him again and share your letters with him. As you were there to guide him into this world you were there to see him onto his next journey. We can all only hope to have this kind of love and devotion given to us.

I am praying for him to have peace, rest and comfort knowing how much he was loved by family and so many of us, his friends and extended family.

Our thoughts and love are with you.

Love
The Donoghue's

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane, Glen,Sara I know no words can console you in your hours of grief since Nick,s passing. Maybe these might help, On the third day he rose again. Diane, I have read all of your history of your fight with Nick to win this battle and there is no question in my mind that your new career should be an Author. With your gardian angel at your side, you can't miss being published. By the way you are a hell of a Mom, NURSE (you raise the nursing profession to new heights)DANCE Instrucktor, and now AUTHOR. Love Dad p.s. WE wiii be there at Nick,s celabration of life. let me know how I can help.

TheAlbrechtSquad said...

I have been reading your blog for a while, following the journey, my heart aches for your today. Your family is in my prayers. God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Glenn, Diane, and Sara,

I can't imagine the pain, except as
so heart-wrenchingly expressed by you, Diane. There are no words, other than to say my heart resonates and aches and cries with you.

Yvonne Wagner, teacher

Kate Diehn said...

Mama Bear,
I can't tell you how much my heart hurts right now, but I'm pretty sure you know the feeling. My heart has been ripped out of my chest and I don't know how it will ever feel the same again. We find ourselves on yet another emotional rollercoaster. At the bottom is rage and despair and debilitating grief, but at the top is joy, love, smiles and sheer gratitude that we were blessed to have Nick is our lives. He was such a true and good human being--we can only strive to be as honest and happy as he was. That's all we can really do. I love you, Mr. Glenn and Sara so much and we need to keep putting one foot in front of the other and letting Nick's soul and spirit guide us through this time of darkness and pain. I love you always.

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane-
I have checked your blog daily as soon as I woke up. I can't imagine the pain you are experiencing. I do know that through the love of Jesus Christ Nick is free and in a perfect body. Please let me know anything you need. I am a holler out the front door!
Debbie Gibbons, teacher

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Diane,

I am so sorry to hear about Nick. I know he was such a great person and an even better son. He is in Gods hands now and will forever be your Guardian Angel.

Love, Tiffany Cupp
I miss you
Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I happened up on this site by accident. Someone said to me, you know what I mean jellybean, even though I have heard this all my life, I was not sure of the meaning. I did an internet search and one led me here. I have been reading this for awhile, trying to understand it all. I am so sorry for your loss, time will ease the pain but the good thoughts and memories will always remain with you. My condolences to the family, my thoughts are with you, stay strong. Benny in Alabama

Anonymous said...

Diane, Glenn, Sara & Kate,
One can only imagine how dark these days must be for you but we hope that you will allow the light to shine through, for in that light shines the memories of Nick, memories of love, laughter, hugs, and kisses - - light that will forever be in your hearts.

I look forward to helping you celebrate Nick's life sometime in the future.

Love,

Joyce

Anonymous said...

pippen family,
my daughter, stacey coomer, graduated with nick and even had the pleasure of going with him one year to homecoming. i had the pleasure of meeting him,. what a great guy!! i have a picture of them on their way to homecoming, which has become a great memory of him to both myself and stacey. i just started to read your blog. what strength and courage you have! nick is at peace now.
michelle coomer

Shereen said...

Hey Big D,

I love you to the moon & back. Words can't express the pain & hurt I feel right now and I know it's only hurting a small amount compared to you. I want you to remember how lucky Nick was to have you for a mom & while it is hard to say goodbye you're not really ever saying goodbye. He will always be there right by your side Big D. I am always here if you need anything, my thoughts & prayers are with you, Glenn-dell & Sara Cait.. I love you all with all my heart.

Love,
Shereen

hockeychic said...

Sending lots of support and strength your way. Nick was so lucky to have you for a mother.

snydale12 said...

Diane, Glenn, & Sara,
My heart aches for all of you for your loss of Nick. I truly feel he is at peace now and is probably catching up on a lot of things with Ann. Greg & Kate kept us up-to-date on Nick and if there is anything that I can do for you, please let me know. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Grace Snyder

Marie Barry said...

Dear Daane, Glenn, Sara and Kate,

Many of my friends are mourning Nick's death. I had told them about him during the year. One just sent me a quote from St. John Chrysostom (4th century), "Those whom we have loved and lost are no longer where they were before - they are now wherever we are."

Love and peace,

Aunt Marie