by Thomas Moore
I saw from the beach, when the morning was shining,
A bark o'er the waters move gloriously on;
I came when the sun o'er that beach was declining,
The bark was still there, but the waters were gone.
And such is the fate of our life's early promise,
So passing the spring-tide of joy we have known;
Each wave that we danced on at morning ebbs from us,
And leaves us, at eve, on the bleak shore alone.
Oh, who would not welcome that moment's returning
When passion first waked a new life through his frame,
And his soul, like the wood that grows precious in burning,
Gave out all its sweets to love's exquisite flame.
Oh my sweet Nick, I have seen what you were writing on the backs of all those papers. The ones they gave you to test your sanity. You were always of sound mind, of this there was no doubt. I always wondered what you wrote. Those wishes break my mother's heart and cause tears of sorrow to flow from my eyes. I wanted everything for you. I wanted to be able to give you those simple wishes for the rest of your life. I hope you have found a beautiful beach. I only wish I could be there with you, to hug you and hold you again and tell you how much I have missed you over these last two hundred and forty-seven days. I love you more than a wagon full of puppies. Your Dad and Shu-shu miss you too. Please come home. Mom
A bark o'er the waters move gloriously on;
I came when the sun o'er that beach was declining,
The bark was still there, but the waters were gone.
And such is the fate of our life's early promise,
So passing the spring-tide of joy we have known;
Each wave that we danced on at morning ebbs from us,
And leaves us, at eve, on the bleak shore alone.
Oh, who would not welcome that moment's returning
When passion first waked a new life through his frame,
And his soul, like the wood that grows precious in burning,
Gave out all its sweets to love's exquisite flame.
Oh my sweet Nick, I have seen what you were writing on the backs of all those papers. The ones they gave you to test your sanity. You were always of sound mind, of this there was no doubt. I always wondered what you wrote. Those wishes break my mother's heart and cause tears of sorrow to flow from my eyes. I wanted everything for you. I wanted to be able to give you those simple wishes for the rest of your life. I hope you have found a beautiful beach. I only wish I could be there with you, to hug you and hold you again and tell you how much I have missed you over these last two hundred and forty-seven days. I love you more than a wagon full of puppies. Your Dad and Shu-shu miss you too. Please come home. Mom

1 comment:
Dear Diane,
I am so sorry Nick's simple wishes brought you more sadness. But what a remarkable young man you raised. Here he was slowly dying and his wishes were for the "simple things". How special is that. That tells so much about his character, and that of his parents. I am sure you are so proud of Nick, and he of you. I pray for better days to come for you.
Love,
Mary
Post a Comment