Well it is getting to be late Sunday night...I am long overdue to get some sleep. It is Monday morning in Iraq...I heard some brief news clip that there had been "renewed" fighting. Where? What province? Who was involved? How many casualties? I haven't quite figured out how the families of soldiers deal with the stress of having a loved one in a war zone. Just close your eyes and really imagine how you would live each day with a loved one over in Iraq or Afghanistan, in the dust, the heat, and the danger...in harm's way 24/7 for fifteen months! Ever since I adopted my first soldier from Adopt-A-Platoon, I have a new appreciation for the helplessness you feel, when you don't know if that soldier is still OK. Did they make it through another day unscathed? They can't always email or call and if they are on a mission it could be days or weeks before you here something from them again...after Captain V came home, I adopted my second soldier, Sgt. R. The not knowing got harder with each weekly letter I wrote over those ten months. Sgt. R is home now after completing his third tour. He was twenty-two years old when I first started to write him...a veritable veteran of the Raq! Thank God he is home "safe and sound," which brings me around to my latest songs. In dance, I spend so much time listening to music, choreographing to music, it is an occupational hazard, but, a good one. Everywhere I go, I hear music that I have used for one dance or another. After 9/11, I choreographed a dance for our company to Sheryl Crow's, "Safe and Sound." I love this song...and it is dedicated to Suspect, who will also be coming home real soon. I also choreographed a dance to "Calling All Angels." This song is from the movie, "Pay It Forward." Remember how I have a thing for rain songs....well, I have one for angel songs too. So you may see songs from that collection here in the future. For tonight, this song is for all those who continue to protect and defend this country under the most difficult of circumstances. AMERICA, please wake up and smell the coffee burning...stop for a moment and find out what is going on over there in Iraq. It is our duty to be informed, make intelligent choices, vote and remember that all wars come with a price to human kind and the price is high! Our soldiers need us to stand up for them and watch their backs. Until that happens, it is my humble opinion that every soldier should get a standard issue guardian angel to watch over them and keep them safe and sound!
April 20, 2008
Standard Issue Angel
Well it is getting to be late Sunday night...I am long overdue to get some sleep. It is Monday morning in Iraq...I heard some brief news clip that there had been "renewed" fighting. Where? What province? Who was involved? How many casualties? I haven't quite figured out how the families of soldiers deal with the stress of having a loved one in a war zone. Just close your eyes and really imagine how you would live each day with a loved one over in Iraq or Afghanistan, in the dust, the heat, and the danger...in harm's way 24/7 for fifteen months! Ever since I adopted my first soldier from Adopt-A-Platoon, I have a new appreciation for the helplessness you feel, when you don't know if that soldier is still OK. Did they make it through another day unscathed? They can't always email or call and if they are on a mission it could be days or weeks before you here something from them again...after Captain V came home, I adopted my second soldier, Sgt. R. The not knowing got harder with each weekly letter I wrote over those ten months. Sgt. R is home now after completing his third tour. He was twenty-two years old when I first started to write him...a veritable veteran of the Raq! Thank God he is home "safe and sound," which brings me around to my latest songs. In dance, I spend so much time listening to music, choreographing to music, it is an occupational hazard, but, a good one. Everywhere I go, I hear music that I have used for one dance or another. After 9/11, I choreographed a dance for our company to Sheryl Crow's, "Safe and Sound." I love this song...and it is dedicated to Suspect, who will also be coming home real soon. I also choreographed a dance to "Calling All Angels." This song is from the movie, "Pay It Forward." Remember how I have a thing for rain songs....well, I have one for angel songs too. So you may see songs from that collection here in the future. For tonight, this song is for all those who continue to protect and defend this country under the most difficult of circumstances. AMERICA, please wake up and smell the coffee burning...stop for a moment and find out what is going on over there in Iraq. It is our duty to be informed, make intelligent choices, vote and remember that all wars come with a price to human kind and the price is high! Our soldiers need us to stand up for them and watch their backs. Until that happens, it is my humble opinion that every soldier should get a standard issue guardian angel to watch over them and keep them safe and sound!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment