December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve Baby

Just a quick update so everyone can relax a bit and take a breath, including me. Today has been a much better day. It started with a groggy, narcotized call from Nick saying he was going to go for his test at 9:30AM. After trying to get a coherent sentence out of him for a few minutes, I told him I loved him and that Dad & I were on the way.

Upon our arrival, Nick was already gone. Two hours later, Nick was still not back on the floor. Just as the nurse was calling to check on his whereabouts, he appeared on a stretcher with his big Birkenstock-encased feet hanging off the stretcher and his knit hat on his head. (His hair is growing back by the way!) Sleepy, but, none the worse for wear, Nick was back from his test in one piece.

Shortly after Nick was tucked back into his bed, the doctors appeared for rounds. The test results of the lumbar puncture are not back yet, but, so far "everything looks good." (Translation: We don't really know anything yet.) DR. SW was at rounds and did an exam of Nick. He is now recanting his story and his latest theory is the good 'ol sinusitis headache. I would be really not happy about this except for the fact that Nick is somewhat better today.
He has actually had almost an entire day now without the severe headache. Which is extremely ironic considering he also had the lumbar puncture today, which usually puts him flat in bed with a "spinal" headache for a week stretch. I don't know why this time is different but, it is. Nick said having the LP under flouroscopy was "a piece of cake" compared to the "pin the tail on the donkey" like process he had experienced down in the clinic for seven or eight weeks before his transplant. In addition, nothing like an opiate pain reliever to take the edge off. Nick has been getting morphine (by mouth) around the clock every three hours in order to control the headache pain. He still had two episodes of vomiting last night and at Nick's request they had finally given him Phenagran to stop the puking early in the morning. Thank goodness he remembered we had talked about that...I wish I had asked about it last night. But, it also seemed to do the trick (note to self - write this recipe down in the little bag of tricks!) There has been no nausea or vomiting at all today! YYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick has actually been out of the bed for a brief sojourn to the chair to eat and sit upright for a time before he climbed back into bed to catch up on some much needed sleep! His numbers all remain steady, with the exception of the bilirubin that is elevated again to 3.1 (Normal is .1-1.2) Doctors not concerned right now, stating it has been that high before. I state it has not. And so it goes.

Nick is still not eating or drinking enough to go home. But, I hope that will change over the next 24 hours. There are plans to do an MRI later tonight??? Nick will be having a small New Year's Eve gathering in the scanner. ALL are welcome, please remove all metal objects and turn off all pacemakers before entering the party. This is invite only...lol!

I am still concerned, but, the terror alert level has been lowered to "Guarded." My combined nurse/mom radar has slowed down the # of pings/second. So I am trying to chill. Right now, Nick is sleeping and Kate is trying to sleep on the hard, extremely uncomfortable bedside chair.
(Translation: TDFLO = Torture Device For Loved Ones I swear the marketing must include something like..."Use of this chair will eliminate most if not all unfriendlies from the bedside. Keep those pesky patient advocates at bay with our most obnoxious chair. Only steadfastly loyal family members and friends can withstand the torture that this chair can inflict.")

We are still all in the gown, glove and mask mode...due to the five day rule out on respiratory viruses. Even though Nick is negative, the precautions must remain in effect. Almost everyone on this floor is in one type of isolation or another!

Looks like Glenn, Kate & I will be spending New Year's Eve 2009 at the Hopkins. I hate this disease for adding another bad New Year's celebration to our list. Nick told me earlier that New Year's has never been a good holiday for him...he didn't elaborate. I remember when Nick and Sara were little, we would stay up all night waiting for the "New Year's baby" to come sliding down the rainbow. This was something Glenn's mom always talked to them about...not sure of the history on this one. In my spare time I will ruminate on New Year's and resolutions and all that good stuff to post at a later date. As you celebrate tonight, please keep our Nick in your thoughts and prayers. Wear a funny hat and do a funny dance just for him. Peace

No comments: