August 12, 2009

Sunrise, Sunset

I guess somewhere in all this I forgot to mention that in the midst of all this hub-bub about Nick's lungs, the doctors kept insisting that much of the problem was related to Nick's "anxiety" about his breathing. I cannot tell you how angry this makes me. For the past two weeks or so, we (Nick, myself, the doctors, and Nurse Lovely, the psych nurse) have been going round and round over this issue. Nick & I have been adamant in believing that the "problem" is NOT Nick's anxiety, rather, it is now and has always been about his broken lungs. The doctors have been pushing this issue and in the process have had blinders on to any other symptoms. Nick was happy to talk with Nurse Lovely and so he did. Nurse Lovely agreed with us. Nick was not having any real symptoms of true anxiety and therefore, she was very hesitant to start any medication. Nick was going to think about his options and talk again with Laura early this week. Unfortunately, he can't talk to anyone right now and that is because THERE WAS AND IS SOMETHING GOING ON HIS LUNGS BIG TIME....i.e. - NICK & I HAVE BEEN RIGHT ALL ALONG. I had been asking about his breathing, his left chest looked slightly bigger than his right, the other day I had listened to his breath sounds and his left lung sounded terrible. I went out and asked Dr. Pulmonary about it. I told him it sounded a lot like when Nick had gotten the pneumomediastinum and whatever it was it did not bode well.

So anyway, today Nick went to get a CT scan of his chest. They found THREE HUGE pockets of air in his left lung. It is very unusual to have "pockets" of air like this. The air is called a pneumothorax, (different from a pneumomediastinum, although he has some air there too) and it's usually just a large collection of air. However, due to the scarring and adhesions from Nick having had two surgeries on this lung, the air is trapped in pockets with the adhesions acting like dividers. Normally, chest tubes would have to be placed to get this air of of the lung. In this case, this is not possible because all three of these pockets of air are inaccessible due to other anatomical structures in the area. Also, NONE of this air showed up on any chest x-ray that Nick has had in the past week or so! And to add a cherry on top...Nick has a new pneumonia starting in his right chest.

The thoracic surgeons who have mucked up his left lung and chest has already said they "can't do anything" for Nick. The interventional pulmonalogist has said that he can't do anything to fix this with 2D ultrasound guidance. That leaves the interventional radiology people. They will be letting us know what they think tomorrow. In the meanwhile, Nick remains heavily sedated and therefore, we hope is unaware of all that his going on for the time being. I am heartsick over this and I am so tired of having my hopes dashed to the ground on a daily basis. At first I was so relieved to hear that this might actually be something that could be fixed. It wasn't even thirty minutes later that Dr. Pulmonary came in and blew it all out of the water.

It has been another day of sadness and tears in imagining that our worst fears may come true here. I feel that we need a miracle to get Nick out of this. I don't know if they will be able to ever wake him up for the sedation. I don't know if I will ever get another smile, another hug, another kiss, another thought from this beautiful and generous young man. I don't know where I will find the strenght to continue on this journey, but, continue I must. I will keep everyone posted as best I can. Please keep praying for Nick.

12 comments:

Kate said...

I love you guys so much. I have so much hope for Nick. Please, everyone continue your prayers, emails, facebook messages. Nick needs love and support now more than ever...

mary said...

Dear Diane,

I swear I do not trust doctors. My God what they have put your precious son and you through is horrible. DO NOT GIVE UP ON THAT MIRACLE, you have so many people praying for Nick, and your son is the ultimate fighter. Diane, whatever happens just always remember your son touched and changes the lives of so many people. He will always be with those who loved him, and those of us who were not lucky enough to have known him, but admire him more than you know. Hang in there Diane and remember you created a beautiful and courageous young man.
Love,
Mary E

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you all. Know that no matter what happens, from here on out, you have shared precious time with your son that will never be forgotten. I hope that you will still have more time to share with your son and continue to fight for him, while knowing that he is comfortably sedated.

Vicki T. said...

Dear Diane,

We WILL continue our prayers for Nick and his miracle. He is and has fought an extremely difficult fight. Air hunger is the absolute worst and to suffer with it this long is just beyond comprehension. Please, please, please remember that as horrible as all of this has been (and truly I can only imagine), NICK IS DOING IT HIS WAY. He has done everything humanly and medically possibly to beat the leukemia and fight all of the other complications that he has suffered.

For you my friend (all our friend), I pray that whatever happens, that someday in the future, you will have THE GIFT OF NO REGRETS. YOU DESERVE THAT. You have given all you've got. You and your family and Kate have given every ounce of love and support in you and then some.

We (your friends, and blog readers) love you all. We hear you. Your words are so incredibly clear that we actually feel pain and grief for all of you knowing that you are going through this hell. It really is too much, but you can do this Diane. You can and you will continue on. You truly can because God is holding you up, yes, he is there for you too. He feels your pain and he is the reason you have been able to get through this. Someday when this nightmare is over, you will see that. I promise.

Love,
Vicki T.

Anonymous said...

Pippen Family,

We continue to keep Nick and all of you in our thoughts and prayers. We pray for the miracle you need and deserve so much. Sending positive love your way :)

Much love,
Sarah & Chi

hockeychic said...

I'm very saddened to read this news. So frustrating that the doctors did not believe you when you were right all along.

I am sending you healing thoughts and sending you strength.

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Dear Diane and family

You guys are always in my thoughts and the tears appear at the worry and pain you are all going through...

Here's hoping for many more smiles, many more hello's, many more thoughts and many more 'I love you's' from and to Nick.

Sending huge hugs and so many thoughts

Love and light
Annie

Anonymous said...

Diane,
There is so much love for Nick,so much hope, so many prayers from so many people! I'm so filled with emotion. Sadness, yes, but also amazement at your resilience and Nick's! Hang on, Diane & stay strong. We want to see your beautiful son at the beach, and see him camping and eating oyster stew and everything bagels, too!!!!

Love,
Joyce

NicTins said...

Big D,
You've been very special to me ever since I met you. It hurts me so much that you and you're family are going through this. I have always looked up to you, you've always been so inspirational. I want you to know just how much I love you. You and you're family are in my prayers everyday.
Love and Miss you,
Nichole T.

Anonymous said...

I feel so blessed to know and love Nick. Because of him I have strived to be a better person and love everyday and not take the lttle things forgranted. He has been a true example of strenght, courage, patience, faith, hope and love!!! He once said to me "its ok Miss Gina, it could always be worse"....I'll never forget those words spoken by a true fighter. God bless you Nick and we are still hoping for a miracle for you. You are precious to all of us.


Love and friendship
The Donoghue's

Anonymous said...

love you nick even though i havent seen you sence february, where u were okay, I still try to picture you everyday lying in the bed. I understand your decision of not completly giving up but giving in, is the best word i could thing of, to the pain. Love you- Jared Overtoom

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane,

I read your last post with tears in my eyes. The heartbreak and frustration with the system and the drs palpable in your writing. I hope Nick can conquer this and you once again have your son back and once again see his beautiful smile.

You are both in my thoughts. Take care and here's hoping that miracle lies just around the corner.

love, Stephanie P