The other day in a waiting room, I picked up a copy of "Baltimore" magazine. On the cover was a big heaping stack of blueberry pancakes. I am a breakfast person and those pancakes looked so good. The article was about some of the top places in Baltimore to get a good breakfast. Those pancakes turned out to be from Miss Shirley's, a restaurant that Nick had told me about and cajoled me into going there for breakfast. Of course, I loved it and we had a great time. Nick and I had been planning to go back to Miss Shirley's as soon as he was better. We had a big celebration planned that would include family and friends. Now that stack of pancakes just reminds me of all the places Nick and I will never go to together ever again.
There were other places listed in the article that I know Nick would love to visit and chow down. The whole issue of food in general makes me sad and want to cry. The whole time Nick was sick he did nothing but lose weight. We all tried so hard to make sure he got the proper nutrition and he loved to eat for the most part. But, his illness fought against him and no matter what we did or what we tried he continued to lose weight to the point of being so malnourished and emaciated, it broke my heart every day. For the last month of his life, Nick could not eat anything unless it was through a feeding tube. Memories of what he liked to eat and the foods he loved to enjoy haunt me all the time. In the article, I read that one of the places served Zeke's coffee.
Nick loved Zeke's coffee. When he was in the hospital, they started to let him order food from the fancy Marburg menu. Usually you can only get this menu if you pay extra for every meal. Well Nick was so thin and they just wanted him to eat, so I guess someone approved him to get these meals. Anyway, the food comes like room service and you get real china and silverware and the food was actually good. I always remember Nick with his china coffee cup, drinking his coffee with just a touch of cream and a touch of sugar. He would sip his coffee, eat his breakfast (what he could eat) and read the paper. He would keep the coffee cup and the thermos of coffee all day, just in case he wanted to have some later.
Before they started letting him have the Marburg food, we would always bring him food from home or buy carry-out food that he really liked, like Five Guys burgers or Chinese food. One thing he loved was his Dad's turkey stuffing. Now every time we have stuffing at home, I just cry and cry. The same thing goes every time I see the Caranation Instant Breakfast I would use to make him shakes...sneak attack.
Yesterday, I was cleaning out some Orioles stuff in my room. (Cleaning and pitching my stuff has become therapeutic in some way.) So what do I find? An old Orioles score card that Nick must have written when he was pretty young. He had written in the names of all the players and his printing was very "young." I just thought to myself, he will never get to go to another game or keep another scorecard. Then later, Glenn and I were listening to the O's game on the radio on the way to the store and Markakis hit a home run. It made me think of Nick when he was in the hospital this last time. We would always have the game on TV or on the radio, but, because of the trach and vent he couldn't cheer out loud, so he would raise his arm and cheer by pumping his fist in the air. Even if we weren't paying attention, we always knew the O's just did something right when Nick started pumping that arm. At first, I did the same motion and I said to Glenn, "That's what Nick would do." But then the tears just came as all the sadness came rushing back in the blink of an eye...sneak attack!
Later Sunday night, I had to go up into the attic to get something and another sneak attack happened. What was the first thing I saw? Nick's radiation form which is in the shape of his full head. I just started crying so hard. I put my hands on that form and it felt just like I was holding Nick's head. I used to put my hands on his head or hug his neck a lot when he was in the hospital bed, because that was about all I could do. I just want to be able to hold him again, touch his head full of hair and tell him how much I love him. God, how I miss him.

2 comments:
Seester...thanks for sharing some good memories of Nick. I will always remember taking him to his last "five guys" burger. It was Sara's birthday weekend, and we were supposed to be going home to get ready to go eat crabs with Sara. Nick really wanted to go get that burger, even though he was in such bad shape. If we had known then what we know now, you and I would have put Nick in the car and gone straight to the ocean and stayed there for as long as we could. Your stories remind me of what a fighter Nick was, and even in the darkest times he tried to live his life to the fullest that he could. A lesson for all of us to try to live by. I love you and am sending hugs your way....Elaine
I have been following your blog for some time now. I actually live right down the street from you. I did not know Nick personally but I did know of him and I was saddened to heard of his passing. The thread, " Eet, Eat, Eet" with your mentioning of the the sneak attacks pulled on my heart strings very much. Last October, about a week before Halloween, my mother started experiencing some abdominal pain. I reported this to her GI doctor who in turn put her on two week's worth of antibiotics. This did not help and one Tuesday night, right before she was scheduled to have an abdominal ultrasound, she collapsed in the bathtub. They ran all sorts of tests and came to find that she had liver mets and had a severe bowel obstruction with some acites. After doing a surgery resulting in a colostomy, they found that the cancer had spread everywhere in her abdomen, which probably started in her pancreas. After spending three weeks in the hospital, we brought her home with hospice care and she passed ten days later at Stella Maris.
I dont think a day has passed where I have, what I can now refer to as a sneak attack. I thought I was going crazy until I read your blog. The simple looking at her picture while at work brings the tears on. My mother did not have any teeth and was not fond of wearing her dentures and I will always remember her gummy smile. Now whenever my 6 month old daughter smiles, I am reminded of my mother. Sneak attack! The other day I went into my 3 year old son's room, which used to be my mother's and found a bag of clothes I had cleared from her dresser but have not been able to mentally do anything with yet. I pulled out her winter jacket, which I found to fit me just right. It is a beautiful jacket and it still has her smell. Sneak attack. My husband asked me last night if we were going to carve pumpkins and I was reminded that last year when we carved our pumpkins, my mother had started to not feel well, yet she carved a pumpkin with us. Sneak attack!
All I can think about is that, she showed no signs until it was to late. I sit here now and think that, last year at this very same time, she had to have had the cancer and I didnt know. Why didnt God give me a sign to let me know something was wron? We could have gotten her in sooner.. She could have had treatment. She could have had more time. She could have met her beautiful granddaughter....
I just wanted you to know that even though our losses are not completely the same, the feelings are all the same. Thank you so much for that thread as it helped me to know I'm not the only one out there with these feelings.
My thoughts and prayers are always with you and your family. God bless.
~Alice~
Post a Comment