October 14, 2009

Super Pierce













This little guy is Pierce Phillips. After a fourteen month long battle with a form of pediatric cancer called neuroblastoma, Pierce earned his angel wings on October 9, 2009. My heart breaks for his parents Scott and Brandi. I just found out about Pierce via Ally's CaringBridge journal. Reading all that this family has been through, it hits home really hard. Pierce sounds like a little version of Nick...they were both fighters, they both took each day as it came and they both loved life and their families so much. The journal entries by Scott and Brandi are just so touching and beautiful, they loved their little boy and they too had to make a choice to let him go and be at peace. I hope Nickolas and Pierce find each other and head off on some new adventures. Maybe Nick can take Pierce for some car rides and I bet there is a puppy in the back seat ready to go for a run when they get to the park. Someone left this poem in Pierce's guestbook. You can read about Super Pierce here.

I know your names
You were here for hours, days, months or years
Too young to die
Too young to leave your parents, who will never be the same
Your names are written on their lives forever
They will remember your birthdays, with "if only" and "would have been"
They will count the years and measure you by your friends
They will mourn your graduations, ball games and marriages
They will hold you in their dreams
They will cradle your teddies and sleep with your blankets
They yearn for the scent of you, long gone from your clothes
They will walk into your darkened rooms and hope that tonight you will be there
They fear they may forget your faces, your smiles, your voices
They hold onto the grief that binds their love to you
They will remember the insidious unknowns that stole your breath, stopped your beating hearts
They will relive your last days, last touches, and last breaths
And rewind them again and again until they are tight in their mind’s eyes
I weep for your mothers, your fathers, your grandparents, your siblings, your friends
And all those who will never know you
And when time silences the voice of solace
I will say your names and remember

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I love the picture of you holding Nick. Every mother wishes they could hold their child like that forever because in our arms, nothing will ever happen to our babies. I know some women never get to experience that beautiful, aching, love. He made a difference, Diane. Please don't fall away and let it go.

Praying for your peace,

joyce