As I continue to fight my way through this grief, I am always searching for ways to keep Nick close to me. Anything I find that has his name, his handwriting, his voice, they all bring me a small measure of comfort in this barren wasteland of loss. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but, I suddenly realized that I had to have Nick's baby footprints. I called St. Joseph's Hospital where Nickolas was born and they told me what I had to do in order to request his birth records, which would have the copy of his precious footprints. The next day I had to call the hospital back to confirm some information and the person on the phone asked me what year Nick was born. I told the lady that Nick was born in 1982. She then proceeded to tell me that they only keep records for twenty-five years and that Nick's birth records had been destroyed! I could not believe it. I had no idea they could even do that. I hung up the phone and just began sobbing. Why? Why couldn't those footprints have just been there? It doesn't seem like such a big thing...but right now, to me, the copy of those little feet mean everything. I am so heart sick over this. I love you my sweet boy. Please come home.
"I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you."

3 comments:
Diane - I am so sorry. If I could give you those foot prints I would.
Dear Diane,
I am so sorry that something as simple as having Nick's footprints can not even be done. Another blow to this horrible nightmare. But like I have said so many times, Diane, no one can take away the memories and the love you have in your heart for Nick.
So you keep that never ending love, and those memories close to you heart, and they will help see you through. I know I only saw Nick a few times when Rachel was at Diamond Dance, and I will never forget him. The lessons that young man and you taught me through your blog will stay with me the rest of my life. Nick is alive in the hearts of those who loved him most, and even those of us who never knew him. So remember Mama you may not see Nick sitting next to you, but I am sure you feel him in your heart.
Love,
Mary
Hi Diane - I'm so happy to see your post and look forward to more of your remembrances/photos of your life with Nick. You are both in my thoughts......
~P~
Post a Comment