June 05, 2010

Get Out of Jail Free

Today is almost over. Sometimes I am so glad when a day is over and I can move on to the next one.

Today brought back a flood of memories. This date will forever now be tied together with good and bad memories.

Today is Sara's 24th birthday. Was it really twenty-four years ago that I held my newborn daughter in my arms, while her big brudder looked at his new baby sister with a big grin on his face.

Today, one year ago, Sara was celebrating another birthday. We were all supposed to go to the party. Instead Nick had to go back to the hospital. Nick didn't want to go. I truly thought it would just be a couple days and we would get Nick back home. Nick wanted to go to his sister's birthday party so badly. I don't know if he would have been able to tolerate it though. His breathing had just gotten worse and worse. He wasn't even sure if he would be OK riding in the car all the way to the hospital.

I have been having a lot of recalls of all the bad memories of Nick's final hospital stay. I have been feeling terrible. I am not a "politically correct" griever. I have nothing good or kind or sweet to say. I am so angry. I have no patience for drivers who are idiotic, bad singers, rude store clerks, or anything that rubs me the wrong way (which is just about everything these days!) I curse at the television. I don't want to leave my house ever. I hate going out, I am worn out before I even step out the door. I am physically falling apart and I am emotionally drained. I took care of Nick for fifteen months and then I jumped back into some version of what is now my life. I HATE life right now. I feel like a two year old having a temper tantrum 24/7.

I am tired of trying to figure out how to get people to understand this horrible experience. How could they? What do I want a medal or something? I don't know what I want. I am so confused. I know people "care" but people have their own lives and they just don't have time to worry about me and my problems. I get it. I know people have their own problems. My experience is mine alone. Nobody else can KNOW what I went through with Nick on a daily basis for fifteen months. For the most part, lives went on while ours was in the shitter. I get that. It happens all the time. It's happening right now. People are locked up in the cancer hospitals all over the world getting "life-saving" chemicals pumped into their bodies. Some people care; some people don't. Why should my situation be any different.

I am so tired. Tired of thinking, tired of reading books, tired of feeling exhausted all the time, tired of making decisions, tired of paying bills, tired of household chores and duties, tired of everything. I guess I am just tired of living life right now, because this is what life is for most of us. I can't see the happy, pretty, rainbows. I am not a happy, pretty, rainbow kind of person. I had enough issues before all this, now I have taken a nose dive into an even darker abyss. I see no solution. Nick is gone forever. My son is DEAD!!! When I get angry or frustrated over something, I just throw it right out there. It's like the "race card" or a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" card, only I call it the "dead son card."

Nobody likes when I use the "dead son card." Many have asked me where I get my sense of entitlement. This comes from the angry me that wants to know why my son got picked out of the whole universe to get leukemia? Why Nick had to get the freaking lung complications? Why Nick had to have the most arrogant batch of know-it-all doctors and some nurses who always knew better than we did what Nick was going through? Yes, I feel I am entitled to ALL THE EMOTIONS THAT COME WITH THIS GRIEF ROLLER COASTER! I am sure the anger will eat me alive before I ever find my way off this god damn ride. In the meanwhile, I will play the "dead son" card as often as I want, at any time and for any reason, BECAUSE I FREAKIN' FEEL LIKE I AM GOING TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF THIS FREAKIN' RAW DEAL THAT I HAVE BEEN DEALT!! Notice how it is all about me! Yes, yes, selfish and pathetic me. I don't know what I think this accomplishes. I know it is nothing. I know Nick is the one who died, but, now I (and the collective we, trying to keep it full on about me here!) have to deal with the consequences. I have to figure out WTF to do with my life now. I can't figure out how to pretend this all didn't happen and move on. How does one effing do that???? I really wanna know.

Now you see how that whole little tirade is just not very PC? You can believe I am not spouting stuff like this amongst the unsuspecting public who assume I am "doing OK." If only they wanted to know how I am really doing. Why am I so ungrateful for the blessings in my life? I know I still have so many good things in my life. I have a life, but, right now I am missing my sweet and beautiful son so much every day. I am hurting every day! My wounds are invisible and they are serious. Just because you cannot see them does not mean they are not there. If I was in shock trauma, I would be listed as "critical, but stable." I am not out of the woods yet.

A Fragile Creature

The loud thud on the window pane
Startled them all into action.
They gathered around and
Stared down at the bird on the pavement.
With eyes wide open, its feathered breast calm and still,
It appeared to be only stunned by the impact.
Surely in a moment it would rise and take flight.
A gentle hand scooped the bird up
With hope to render aide.
It was then they found its broken neck.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Diane-
I think everything you say makes perfect sense. I don't know how I would be in your position, but, what you say in your post is, to me, eerily correct - or, exactly what I think I would be thinking. I think it is what you need for you, and, as you know, I am not what you would call "pc" either. Hang in there, and please tell Sara Happy Birthday for me. I wish I had more to offer you - something that could give you some bit of comfort. I hope you know my heart hurts for you.
Catherine

mary said...

Dear Diane,

I hope and pray time will help you heal. My thoughts are with you and Diane I am wishing for you to find some peace.
Love,
Mary E.

Miss Vic said...

Hi Diane,
I wish we lived closer, so I could visit you everyday and give you a hug. I wish I had more money, so that I could often send you flowers to brighten your day. I have no doubt that if it were my son I would feel the same. So feel away and rant away and do what you need to do to survive. I'm here if you need me.
Love ya, Vic

Anonymous said...

Hey Big D,

You keep on venting girl, and don't worry about if others think you're not PC...You have every right to feel every bit of emotion, anger, frustration & sadness that you do...you don't have to justify it for ANYONE!

Keep hanging in, love you lots :)

SCY

Pattie Matheson said...

I don't yet know how the grieving process works but it seems to me you ARE entitled. Entitled to your anger, your exhaustion, your enormous sense of loss.

So rant on bigD. We're always gonna be out here in the ethers sending you love.

~P~

Anonymous said...

Diane_
boy do I know how you feel. I was afraid I would be stuck in absolute anger and despair for a few years. My new book Attempting Flight talks a lot about the truth of disparaging rage. It is the sequel to Growing Wings (The one you blogged about last year). You are OK girl. Where you are at is actually a good place. A healthy place. And a healing place. Feel it all.
Kristen Jongen

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog by accident, and it was very beautiful (made me cry too). It made me feel very lucky that whatever else is going on, at least my kids are alive.

Bless you and may time heal. "As much as it really could", given that losing a child has to be life's worst tragedy.