September 15, 2008

Another Day

Sometimes the sadness comes.
Energy rushes from my body like air from a balloon.
Reality hits me like a hot desert wind
and saps every ounce of strength.

What have they done to my strapping young son?
Someone help me find him...I want him back.
Sometimes it is painful to watch.
Why couldn't I protect him from this?

He is grumpy and ornery.
He accuses me of the same.
We fuss at each other.
He is feisty and stubborn and looking for a fight.
He wants to be strong and well again.
He is so weak taking a shower exhausts him for the night.

He wants to eat so badly and yet his body is not cooperating.
Now his taste buds are wearing a sign that says, "Out of Order."
He says he wants apples and grapes and ice tea and apple fritters,
and yet he eats nothing.

I want to make him better.
I am powerless to do so.
I want to help him find wings, so he can fly again.

He is tired now.
He wants to come home.

No comments: