Today the doctors decided that Nick had to be started on an anti-fungal drug. The name of the drug is liposomal Amphotericin B or AmBisome. I was very upset about this turn of events, but, after speaking with the doctors, they felt strongly that they needed to add this medicine to Nick's treatment in the face of continued fever and neutropenia (low ANC count) despite two days of IV antibiotics. All of Nick's cultures remain negative to date. This medicine is very strong and has plenty of its own side effects, so much so that they have to "pre-treat" with Tylenol, Benadryl and extra fluids to ward of evil spirits!! Nick was still having some fever today, although lower than yesterday. He did OK with his first dose of what we used to call "Ampho-terrible" at my hospital. The stuff is a bright neon yellow-lime color. Nick's tech called it "beetle juice." I call it very troubling, although, the nurses and doctors once again insist that this is a very common thing that happens to people, especially after a MUD transplant, and not to worry. HA!!! If only I could figure out how to do that! Nick received another unit of blood last night and felt a lot better early today. He was out of bed and sitting up in a chair and even took five laps around the unit. He showered later in the evening and said he felt stronger with all of his new blood cells on board. His stomach is still bothering him and he really is not back to drinking or eating in any kind of normal amounts. Please keep Nick in your thoughts and prayers. Don't forget about the benefit concert this Saturday. Hope everyone can go and enjoy the good music, have some fun, and help raise some money to help Nick get through this rough time in his life. I am so tired...I must go to sleep.

No comments:
Post a Comment