September 11, 2008

Birthday at the Hop

Nick is feeling a lot better these past few days. He is once again playing MarioKart on the Wii game system...a good sign that he has begun to recover from his chemo and BMT. We are still waiting for signs that his bone marrow has engrafted. His white count was up enough to get everyone excited...a small blip on the BMT radar. It is to soon to tell if it is real, but, we are keeping our fingers crossed. Today is Nick's 26th birthday...I reminded him that I went into labor at midnight and finally had him eighteen unmedicated "natural childbirth" hours later! He was born at 1930 hours on September 11th and has been a joy in my life ever since! Nick wanted to be going home today for his birthday present. I don't think his neutrophils got that memo! We will continue to wait it out and pray that no germs find their way to his room. Whenever we know something, you will hear it here. No fevers and nothing much new to report. As the doctors and nurses keep telling us, "no news is good news." Nick can't really eat any cake right now, so Kate will bring some milkshakes from Maggie Moo's...yum! While Nick continues to lose weight (down to 161 lbs. - that's fourteen pounds for those of you who are counting) I fear I will be the size of a dirigible between lack of dancing, too much sitting, and too much fatten Nick-up food! I need to start a workout regimen stat! Note to self: start exercising! Where in the hell are my tap shoes? It is late and I must sleep.
P.S.- Did I mention that my dryer has decided to have a nervous breakdown? So, here I go off to the laundromat after I get home from hospital tonight. Watch scariest people in the world on "America's Got Talent" while I watch my clothes flip and flutter in a dryer that works really fast. I do a super fold and pack up, carry my basket to car, hop in, turn key.....nothing! Car has now had a nervous breakdown as well. Call man of the house, who comes to provide a jump. We successfully start car, but, only temporarily. It is now kaput in the driveway for the night. Now I am having a nervous breakdown. To quote Nancy Kerrigan as she gripped her shin on the side of the Olympic ice rink...why? Why? Why? WHY?????????????????? Just had to vent. Peace out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NICK! I want you to know that I think about visiting all the time, but I just don't want to give you any germies, so I'm going to wait until you aren't in the hospital. Sorry to hear about the dryer and car, Diane. Hang in there.
Vic

Anonymous said...

This is where a nice Christian person would tell you that God never gives you more than you can handle. Ain't that a load of bull! I am sorry Nick didn't get his wish, but happy he is feeling better. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Have to agree on the America's got Talent. Ugghhhhh! Male (use the term loosely) Baton Twirlers, Badly Tapping Dads, 4 year old lispers????? Where is Simon when you need him.

Stacy Allwein said...

Hi Nick,

Happy Birthday!!!! I know you wish you were could be home for your birthday, but I hope you enjoyed your milkshake.....what a good girlfiend that Kate is :)

I know Michael keeps in touch from time to time and he lets us know how you are doing.

We are all praying for you to get out of there soon. I am trying to help Megan with the auction for the concert. So many people want ot help....that is a good sign that this is going to be a great event and really help you out in more ways than one. Keep up that good attitude and I hope to see you soon.

Take care,

Stacy (Kate's cousin)