September 24, 2008

Watch & Wait

When I left the hospital late Tuesday night, Nick was doing a little better. I will try to summarize below:
1) Nick was having some low blood pressure problems, most likely due to dehydration. He received quite a few fluid boluses via the IV to add fuel to the tank
2) Nick received two units of blood due to a low blood count. The fluid from the blood also helped his hydration and improved his blood pressure.
3) Nick's counts were good today (with exception of hematocrit - see #2) His ANC was actually 1190! So hopefully his body will start fighting any germs that try to come his way.
4) Nick continued to run a fever all day. When I left at 2200, he had his first normal temp. So I hope he stays that way throughout the night
5) Nick has to be without fever for twenty-four hours in order to come home.
6) All the cultures they have sent to look for infection have been negative to date. This is good because he doesn't have an infection they can find. This can also be bad because they can't figure out what is causing the fever.
7) The doctors are not sure what is the cause of Nick's fever. The theories are still the same as I mentioned in my previous post. They are watching and treating his symptoms.
8) Nick was feeling a little better later in the night. The vomiting has stopped today. He wasn't able to eat anything today, but, was taking sips of Gatorade. Doctors have no explanation for the vomiting yesterday, other than Nick's fever.

In closing, if everyone could remember that this blog is for my own personal use. I use it to express whatever I need to express and I find it to be a good outlet for that sort of thing. I will always do my best to accurately present the nuts and bolts of what is going on for those who are interested in knowing such. However, the way I write the post and the tenor of that post will always be colored by the way I am feeling at the time I write it. If I am mad, angry, sad, happy etc. this will certainly color the type of post I write. I am not trying to create strife, angst, drama, or stress for anyone who may be reading the blog.

When I first started this blog, Nick was not even diagnosed and no one was even reading my blog. I sometimes forget that others read this, but, I cannot let that influence what and how I write. If what I am writing is upsetting, I suggest that the best course of action would be to stop reading this blog and find yourself a good library book.

I am tired and I need to go to bed.

No comments: