October 05, 2008

Dance Therapy

The sound comes to me as I round the corner to the elevator. The music is beautiful and yet, so incongruous in this place of somber and hushed tones. There is a grand piano in the lobby of the Weinberg Center. Every now and then someone will be playing. I always wonder if it is a former patient or family member who has returned in hopes of bringing some peace, some solace, some joy to all those who enter here.

The music is soothing and comforting to me. It draws me like a moth to a flame. I wish I could just begin dancing in the lobby the way the musician is able to sit down to the piano and begin playing. There is an open space that cries out for movement. Would anyone notice? Would they think I was crazy or lonely or forlorn?

Many say that dancing is a mirror to the soul. I am afraid.

What will happen when they see all the pain and sorrow come spilling out onto the ground?


If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance


Those who hear not the music think the dancers mad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just go ahead and dance...