January 15, 2009

Gems Rock













Thought I would post about my dancers. It is good medicine for me...takes my mind off all the bad stuff for just a little while. This picture is of three of our "Gems" in costume for their pointe dance called "Music Box." They are supposed to look like ballerina dolls that are trying to escape the music box. They dance to Regina Spektor's song of the same name. All the dancers did a great job this past weekend at the Tremaine Convention/Competition in Washington D.C. This was their first competition and was early for us, so Barbara & I were thrilled when they brought home so many good scores and great placement. I hope to have some more pictures to put up for future posts. So here's the rundown:

Conversation Hearts - 1st place Teen Division (Large group Jazz) This was all twelve Gems and yes, we resurrected the phone dance. Ms. Barbara restaged to make the technique more difficult cause we're good like that. We also won BEST SHOWMANSHIP out of all the teen entries.

Music Box - 1st place Senior Division (Trio - Ballet/Pointe) This was the girls above...Kribsy, Shelbinator and Em & M's . The stage was SO SLIPPERY in pointe shoes, it is a miracle they stayed on their feet. This dance also won BEST SHOWMANSHIP for the Senior Division. Ms. Barbara made the costumes which received high praise and she did hair & make-up too!

Free - 2nd place Senior Division (Small Group Lyrical) The six seniors danced this one and they did a great job. They scored in the low nineties which is great for us. The dance that beat them score like 96.

Le Jazz Hot - 1st place Senior Division (Small Group Jazz) Another number by the six seniors, a real crowd pleaser.

We have a few other dances to add to the mix. But they weren't ready for this competition. Click on this link Tremaine Winners. Then click on "View Winners" from Washington, then scroll down to find our Gems with their Best Showmanship trophies for Hearts and Music Box. Don't they look great! Barbara & I are so proud of them...they have come so far and they are real pros! See I told you it was good medicine! Just looking at that picture makes me smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some popular makers of designer shoes have been working towards incorporating comfort and functionality into their dance shoes, and those brands have achieved some success, but despite the added benefits it has been noted that women still go for style and uniqueness above everything else.

Anonymous said...

If I had known you guys would be in DC this weekend I definitely would have come!!! I'm only 20 minutes away... :(

Sounds like the girls are doing a great job, I miss you guys so much. Let me know when the next competition is! <3

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and the girls! Love the costumes, Barb! Thanks for sharing this. Way to go! Love, Miss Vic