January 09, 2010

Raindrops Keep Fallin'

Future Past

Our joyous life.
in memories, past.
The future dead,
horror-cast.

Yesterday held us,
secure and sane.
Today, our tomorrows,
lost in pain.

No bright beginnings,
No dreams to come true.
Just get through today-
just get through, get through.

This poem was taken from the book, "STARS IN THE DEEPEST NIGHT" by Genesse Bourdeau Gentry, 1999. Genesse Gentry is a bereaved parent who lost her twenty-one year old daughter, Lori Ann Elizabeth Gentry, in a car accident on June 28th, 1991. This collection of poetry is an expression of her journey through grief after the loss of her daughter. In the introduction of the book, Ms. Gentry states, "It has been deeply gratifying for me to find that these poems help other bereaved parents and can create little miracles of understanding in the non-bereaved as well....I believe that deep inside all of us is the need to understand and be understood by others. In their own small way, that is just what the poems seem to help us do. Bereaved parents walk long and often lonely roads. Their unbearable grief is often exacerbated by the subsequent loss of relationships with friends and family members who feel unable to cope with the depth, intensity and duration of the bereaved parent's pain and heartache."

Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break. ~William Shakespeare

5 comments:

mary said...

Diane,

I do not think you will ever be alone. To many people care and love you. But I do understand no one knows your pain, unless they have walked in your shoes. But I do think it is healthy and wise to express those feelings instead of holding them inside. So you keep posting your thoughts and feelings. I think it may help a little to mend your broken heart. I know you will never be whole again, but I am hoping you will be able in time to adapt and move forward. What's the old saying, "time heals all wounds."
Hang in there, the sun will shine on your face again.
Love,
Mary E.

Unknown said...

Dear Diane,It Was nice talkinG TO YOU the other day. I was thinking about getting my 8mm film transfered to dvds and rembering my three girls when they where very young. I'm sure I have Nick on some video some where. I'll have to look, another thing to do before I kick. Call me if you need to talk! iWILL CALL YOU SOON. Love Dad

Vicki T. said...

Still here. We aren't going anywhere.
Hugs,
Vicki T.

drmedhus said...

I find your blog both insightful and comforting. My son recently committed suicide and has communicated with us in many ways. This inspired me to write a blog as well: Channeling Erik: Conversations with my Son in the Afterlife. (www.drmedhus.com/channelingerik) It is my hope that, with the help of a talented medium, a book can come of this. The goal would be to, with Erik's help, elucidate and demystify the death process, the nature of the afterlife, the survival of consciousness after death, reincarnation, how thought creates reality, and the quantum physics behind all of it, among other spiritual matters. I hope to help those who are bereaved, those who fear death, and those who are curious to understand the bigger picture. Healing others seems to be important to my own healing process. Please keep up the good work. Your wisdom is sorely needed I a word that years for spirituality and a deeper understanding. xoxo Elisa

louise said...

Dear Diane
I am so sorry you lost your beautiful son. I know your pain and grief. Yes of course you can use what I wrote for open to hope here on your blog. I would also like to invite you to my Grief Support site.
It is a very active caring supportive site
http://griefsupport.proboards.com/

I do hope we talk again for only another grieving mom truly knows and understands
Love and Light
Louise Lagerman