May 13, 2010

Fish & Whistle

In September of 2008, Nick was still recovering from his bone marrow transplant. I remember the one thing he kept talking about doing when he got out of the hospital was going fishing with his Dad and Uncle Steve. Of course, all I could do was worry about all the bad things that might happen, like being out in the sun, which was bad for his skin and any sunburn could have triggered GVHD in his skin. I worried about his low counts and his weakened immune system and pictured all the germy things he would be touching. I worried about him getting a hook stuck in his finger. I worried about Nick getting fatigued from over doing things too early and that causing him to have a setback. .I kept thinking about the time Glenn took Nick out on a boat with his brother. Nick was very young, maybe four? A storm started to kick up and just as they began to head back the engine on the boat gave out. The boat was being tossed and turned by waves and Glenn told me later he was very upset. Nick was wearing a life preserver and clinging to some aspect of the boat for dear life. They did get home safe and sound and I only found out all this after the fact. But, it scared me so much to know my little boy was in danger! This only confirmed and justified in my mind all my concerns and worries. I have always been a worrier. I cannot seem to help myself.

I did not think about all the joy this fishing trip would bring to Nick. I did not think of the peacefulness of the water. The stillness and beauty of the landscape around him. The happiness of being with his Dad and his Uncle and enjoying some "down" time from all things leukemia. I knew that Nick would love going fishing. I just wanted him to get stronger first. I never thought Nick would be so so sick! I never ever thought Nick would have so many disappointments as time went by. I never thought the list would be so long. I never thought it would hurt so much every time I think of all the things my poor boy didn't get to do. Was I wrong to worry? Should I have encouraged Nick to throw caution to the wind knowing he might be putting his life at risk?
We did the best we could with the information we had at the time. We thought we would have more time to be together, to share, to talk, to hug, to smile, to tell stories, to go hiking, to go camping, to listen to music, to sing songs and weave new tales, to go fishing, to make new memories that would last us for the rest of our lives. That time was not meant to be. Those new memories will never be made. All I have our the old ones and I never realized how hard it is to remember the old ones. I have no video of Nick when he was young. We could not afford a video camera back in the day. I have nothing except pictures and my weary brain. I feel like whole sections of Nick's life are missing from my memory, especially when he was away at college. He was there for five years and for four of those years, he rarely came home. So many lost opportunities.

I miss you with all my heart Nick. I cannot believe you have been gone from us for nine months.
It hurts so much. I long to see you and hug you and tell you how much I love you my son. Your death still haunts me and tears at my heart. I am tired of living in this world without you. Please come home to your Mama.

"Father forgive us for what we must do
You forgive us we'll forgive you
We'll forgive each other till we both turn blue
Then we'll whistle and go fishing in heaven."
~John Prine

1 comment:

mary said...

Dear Diane,

Of course you made the right decisions. How would anyone have ever known, what was to come. You were protecting your boy. That's what a good mother does. But, I am like you I worry about everything, and through your tragedy, I am learning lessons. I need to stop worrying about everything, life is to short for that. You are teaching us we do not know what tomorrow will bring, so enjoy what you have today. We take it for granted, and because you are so willingly to share your story, you have taught me to appreciate the moments. Never Diane second guess yourself as far as Nick is concerned. You did the best anyone could. I hope time begins to make the deep scars of pain, begin to heal, and the happy memories make you smile.
Love,
Mary E.