Sara is graduating from college today. She will be receiving a Bachelor's of Social Work from University of Maryland at Baltimore County. I am so proud of her and I love her so. Sara is my sweet little girl and I cannot believe she is all grown up. How does the time go by so fast? This fall she will be heading back to school at University of Maryland at Baltimore to get her Master's in Social Work. Sara was accepted into the accelerated program so she only has to take one year of graduate courses in order to get her Master's. It took Sara a while to figure out what degree she wanted to pursue, but, there was never any doubt in my mind that she would eventually figure it out. Sara is a strong willed young woman who knows what she wants in this world and she is willing to work hard to reach her goals. She is truly loved by family and friends. She is loving and generous of spirit just like her brother. Sara has had more loss in her young life than anyone her age should EVER have to experience. I believe this has formed the person she is and has forever changed how she views this world. The fragility of life is not lost on her and she is very good at keeping what's important in the forefront. I wish Nickolas could have been here to share in this big moment. I know Sara wanted that too. She misses her brudder so much. My heart is broken every day by something that reminds me that my sweet son is gone from this world. Sara's graduation is one of those somethings that brings back all the pain of his loss. A reminder of all the future milestones and memories he will not be a part of ever again. That is so hard to really, truly understand. I am still trying to figure it all out. In the meanwhile, today's memories were made without brudder here with us. Sara is off celebrating with her friends. Glenn has gone to bed and I am sitting here crying and wondering how I will be able to keep doing this for the rest of my life.
I was thinking today, how it is already almost the end of May. Another Memorial Day is almost here. This Thursday will be "flags in" at Arlington Cemetery. I was thinking how last year at this time Nick was home on his brief respite between his two long admissions. Last year at this time, we were enjoying the final days of Nick's life at home and we did not even know it. And how two years ago in May of 2008, it would not be long before our worlds would be blown to bits by the news that Nick had leukemia. It seems like a lifetime ago. It seems like just yesterday.
The memories and the moments of pain still bring me to my knees.
I love you my sweet Sara. I am so proud of you and I know you will have your brother in your heart and by your side as you travel through this life. I love you my sweet Nickolas. I miss you more than words will ever be able to express. I hope I can one day understand why you had to leave us behind. Right now all I know is it hurts so much. Please come home and see us. Mom

4 comments:
beautiful picture of a beautiful young woman. this time next year, I hope to be in the same situation!
congrats for Sara!
Diane,
How exciting for Sara. She is a beautiful young woman. I am sure Nick is smiling down from heaven so proud of his little sister. I hope this very special moment in Sara's life can bring all of you some joy. At my son's graduation from law school on Sunday, the student speaker said, "this is a good day." Congrats to you and Glenn, and a big congrats to Sara!
Love,
Mary E
Hi Diane,
Please tell Sara that I send my Congratulations on her graduation and acceptance into the program at UMB! It did not surprise me that she chose a field that involves helping others. Firstly, she has had a mom who is a great nurse as an example. Secondly, you and Glenn raised them in such a way that they learned that to give is better than to receive and that we should be good stewards of what we have been given. You deserve to be proud of their accomplishments, but I think you have a special gift of getting to proud of the people they grew into. Love, Vic
p.s. I feel privileged that I got to be one of the first people to meet Sara when she made her entrance into this world. It's hard for me to believe that was twenty some years ago.
Hey Big D,
Great picture of Sara. Continuing to think of you and pray for you often. Big hugs :) :)
~SCY
Post a Comment