May 01, 2010

Madness of the Heart

























These pictures were taken towards the end of Nick's fifty-eight day admission. The picture with Grandma was taken down in the lobby of the Weinberg center. Grandma came on the weekend and we all went down there so Grandma could play piano for Nick. I know Nick enjoyed listening to the music. And yet, I know he was sad. I am sure he was scared. I wonder what was going through his mind at this surreal point in his life. I can only imagine. My God what are we all doing in a cancer center, playing piano and singing songs, while I sit here in a wheelchair with oxygen on my face because I can't walk and I can barely sit here and just breathe.

At this point, Nick had been through so much and still no one knew for sure what was wrong with Nick's lungs. The theory was that Nick's lungs were being attacked by his new marrow and that he had lung GVHD. The autopsy of Nick's lungs showed that EVERYONE was WRONG about that! Nick did not have lung GVH at all!!!!! Compared to earlier days of this admission with the fever, the low counts, the radiations treatments, the thousands of medications he was having pumped into his body, and the constant scanning and testing, Nick actually "appeared" to be somewhat improved. However, his breathing status was not at all improved. It was only getting worse.

The patterns were there, but, no one chose to see them. With each day that passed, Nick's lungs were being insidiously damaged. At the end of this admission, Nick could still get out of bed to sit in a chair and walk to the bathroom in his room, but, he had to be on oxygen. If he was still and quiet, the demand on his lungs was less and therefore, it seemed he was OK. But when Nick would get up to walk a lap around the hallway, he would return to the room breathing so hard it was frightening. His respiratory rate would be up in the 30's, his heart rate would get up into the 130-140/minute range (Nick's HR had been running high (114-120bpm) for months due to his undiagnosed hypoxia!!!! (A normal adult resting HR should be 60-80 bpm.) Nick's high heart rate was a compensatory mechanism; his body needed more oxygen, the body could not get more oxygen, therefore, pump what you have around faster!

Because Nick was young and his other major organs were strong, his body did amazing things for a LONG time to keep him going.If had been older, the deterioration would have happened faster. After his one lap, Nick would have to sit for five to fifteen minutes to recover enough to walk another lap.

I remember distinctly the nurses blaming this "shortness of breath" on Nick being out of shape, even at this late date in time!!! Shortness of breath is an UNDERSTATEMENT of the degree of respiratory distress that ensued whenever Nick tried to do ANYTHING that involved MOVING! Which is almost everything in life if you hadn't noticed.

But, somehow this was all OK and Nick was sent home like this....thinking that this would be able to be fixed and he would return to his normal self! Nick was never told that his lungs would only continue to get worse.

The doctors were trying to blame Nick's lung damage on the GVHD even though Nick never had a serious case of any kind of GVH. At the end of this admission, they did a liver biopsy, because I think the doctors thought for sure they were going to find he had liver GVH as well....NICK DID NOT HAVE LIVER GVH EITHER!!!

When they sent us home, there were no fond farewells. There were no discussions of death or dying. There were no statements like those listed below.

"Sorry Nick there is nothing else we can do for you."

"Nick, get your affairs in order because it won't be long before you are outta here."

"Folks, it's time to look into hospice care, because your lungs are on the fast track to hell in a hand basket and there is nothing that will fix these mother's, so plan how you want to die."

"If you keep coming back into the hospital, things won't go well for you. So stay the f*^%ck home."

"Take the time you have, get in your wheel chair and roll as fast as you can to some sandy beach and watch the last few sunsets you will ever see in your life."

"Sorry we didn't figure this out sooner Nick, but, your lungs are for shit and we didn't see this coming, and we don't know what caused it, and we don't know how to fix it. So....golly gee we feel bad about this and all, but, oh well thems the breaks kid. Get out....we need the bed!"

"We don't really think that physical therapy or pulmonary rehab or photopheresis is really gonna help. These treatments will be a LOOOOOOOOONG shot! Odds are this is NOT going to work, so don't waste the precious time you have driving back and forth to this dog and pony show we call a hospital!!! Hell no! Go do what you want to do NOW! After all Nick, the least we can do for you (oh yeah and for the too bitchy, pain in the ass Mama Bear person) the LEAST we can do is be honest with you about our failures!!!!

God, how I hate them all for taking my beautiful son from me. And if they didn't take him then who the hell did? Who is responsible for this? Why? Why? Why? Why did Nickolas have to go through all of this torture and suffering for nothing? I am so sorry my sweet Nick.

Hatred is the madness of the heart Lord Byron

5 comments:

mary said...

Dear Diane,

I have been thinking it was last May that Nick got to come home for the last time. I like you wish he could have stayed home. I truly understand your anger. Actually anger is an understatement. How could they have been so F------WRONG!!!!!!!!! I am angry Diane. The best hospital in all the world, and they got it all wrong. Here they had a mother who is a nurse with 30 years experience telling them something is WRONG, and they didn't listen. How do the rest of us ever have a chance. I swear I can remember a posting right before Nick died, them saying something like he was anxious and that is why he could not breathe. Diane, I am feeling hate too. Why couldn't they have been honest and say Nick, we don't know, but get the heck out of here and enjoy yourself as best you can. All the meds for something that he did not have KILLED him. I probably should not be saying that, I should find ways to try to make you feel better, but Diane, how can you feel better, with this whole big cover up. I would have rather heard we don't know, we are sorry, then lets drug you more and give you false hope. The only thing I do know, is Nick knew how much he was loved. He was blessed with a mom like you. He suffered because of the arrogance of the so called best doctors in the world, but he is at peace in God's arms now. I know there are many great doctors. I also know there are many doctors who are honest and say the battle is over. Why Nick's doctors did not do that is well I guess they could not admit they were wrong. I guess they forget they are humans, not God, so sometimes there are no answers. Again Diane, if they can not say they are sorry I will say it, I am so sorry this all has happened. Your family, those who loved Nick, you and most of all Nick did not deserve this to happen. I know you are angry and Diane, I think that is a sign of you beginning to heal. I will keep praying for better days for you. Hang in there!
Love,
Mary E.

Unknown said...

They deserve to be held accountable.

Love, Catherine

Pattie Matheson said...

Such a sweet smile on Nick's face.
:) ~P~

Anonymous said...

Diane
For the first time I am compelled to ask Mary to stop......Hate and kill feel out of line........
With love - Anon

mary said...

Sorry Anon but I hate what they did to Nick. And I believe taking meds for something you do not have can kill you.