September 09, 2009

One Day Closer






















Two days before what would have been Nick's twenty-seventh birthday. I am so sad that no matter what we did, we could not make him better so he could be celebrating this birthday with all of the family and friends that will be gathering instead to celebrate his short time here on this earth. Nick had so much to give and so much more living to do. All he wanted was to be "better." He did everything he did with that goal in mind. He would always say, "If this is what I have to do to get better, then I will do it."

I have a notebook of his. This is where he wrote down a lot of his passwords for his bank accounts and other such stuff, "just in case." When I opened this notebook for the first time on the very first page Nick had written "2008 Goals." There I find his handwriting (which I treasure) and the lists of goals and projects...plans for the future. A future that is now lost. The list just really sums up so much about Nick. He was a planner to some extent and yet he could really go with the flow. He liked to organize his thoughts and get the ideas flowing and down on paper for later perusal. His goals included work and play, health and budget. Some goals were big, like the house he wanted to design and build. Some were simple like "practice calligraphy." Oh my God, how this breaks my heart and makes me cry every time I read these concrete reflections of Nick's awesomeness. How much money to save and hobbies he wanted to pursue like cooking. He had some plans of what kind of exercise he might want to start doing. He also included ways to "enrich" his life with learning, like a goal to read "1 book per month, 3 magazines per month, and translate 2 speeches per month." I don't know when in 2008 he wrote these goals, there is no specific date, all I know is those goals will never be met. All of his dreams and my dreams for him have been laid to waste; shattered into a million pieces. Pieces that pierce my broken heart and cause so much pain.

When he was home in May, he must have started a to do list, for that is in here too. It is dated May 8th, 2009. I guess he got that trait from his Mama. Such mundane tasks are listed there, but, to him they were a big deal...to be able to accomplish even the simplest of day-to-day jobs. Things like "file bills" and "budget 09." You see even then, he believed, we BOTH believed, we ALL believed, he would beat this thing. We all wanted this so badly!! And then later that month, near the end of his three weeks home there is this poem he wrote. Torn between the reality of lungs that seemed to be getting worse each day and dreams that wanted to believe and keep on living. Keep on fighting...oh, my Nick, I wish I could have helped you more. I wish that "To Do List" had more fun things on it. I wish we knew that this is where we were going...how would we have done things differently? How could I have made your last days happier and more peaceful? I love you my son. Am I selfish to want you to still be here with me? I pray you are at peace and doing all the things you love. Do you like that tree? I think of you when I see big, beautiful trees like this one. I think of you reaching to the heavens and offering your branches to the birds. I try to think of you as returning to the earth and a world that I know nothing about. I pray you are surrounded by so many who love you, wherever you are hanging out. Here is Nick's poem written on May 28th, 2009.

Broken
Physically beat down
With your ass dragging
your mind starts to follow
Spirits stay strong
for a while
But each day
is a little harder
a little more short of breath
one day
closer
This disease is trying to break me
But I will prevail
Because I will never give in.

You NEVER gave in Nick. I know that you NEVER wanted this to be the way this ended. You were never going "gently into this good night" ...you fought and you gave it EVERYTHING you had. You were a most courageous and fearless warrior in this battle for life. You always chose life. I love you more than a wagon full of puppies. Mom

3 comments:

mary said...

Dear Diane,

After reading this latest posting, I am sure more now than ever, that you need to one day in the future pick up the pieces and move forward. My God, your Nick fought so hard and wanted to live so badly, it would be a shame if you were not able to enjoy life and live life to the fullest like Nick tried so hard to do. Your pain is so great, lets face is you last a son and a tremendous human being, but to honor him I pray that the pain lessens in time, and you can truly smile again. I know when I lost my dad the first year was horrible, but once we hit that first anniversary, it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.( I know your pain is greater. we are suppose to lose our parents, not our children). I could feel real joy again. But Diane, remember life is so special, try to enjoy the wonderful thoughts and memories of Nick. He truly would have wanted that for you. you were his rock, and now allow Nick to be yours.
Your son will always be with you, in your heart and soul. I pray that can bring you some comfort. Hang in there Diane, the hurt will become a little more bearable in time.
Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Diane,

You don't know me but I have followed your blog for a while now and my heart goes out to you and your family during these difficult times. Especially today, on Nick's birthday and day of remembrance. I hope you know that there are many people who love and care about your sweet family... some you know and some you don't.

I can't possibly understand what you must be going through right now, but if I could do something for you to put a little tiny bandaid on that broken heart of yours, even for just one night, I hope that you will enjoy, and smile knowing that Nick will be there with you in spirit.

I have arranged for you to receive 2 tickets to the Jack's Mannequin show in Washington, DC on 10/18/09. Andrew McMahon, the lead singer for Jack's Mannequin, has personally invited you and a guest to come see them play, and also meet with him and the band after the show. You will be receiving these either in the mail or by email very soon, but I wanted to let you know ahead of time so you could make arrangements.

I hope this puts a smile on your face, and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Blessings to you.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous

What a wonderful thing to do! I hope this makes Diane smile - it sure made me do just that.

The world has some really lovely people in it, and you, Anonymous, and Diane are two of them.
x