September 27, 2009

Tears In The Dark

















Every day I cry. I miss my boy so much. Every day is a challenge to get through. Every day there is something that brings the weight of this loss down upon me with breath taking clarity. The pain of this sorrow can bring me to my knees on a regular basis. I never know what it might be, but, it is always something. Tonight a band that Nick liked was on TV - G. Love & Special Sauce. The other night I went to get something to eat with Glenn and Barbara. The meal was good and uneventful, nothing fancy. On the way home in the car, by myself, I just suddenly started crying, because I felt so guilty that I had gone out to do something and poor Nick will never be able to do anything ever again. Tomorrow night will be the first episodes of The Amazing Race and Brothers & Sisters. Nick would watch them with me most Sunday nights. Now when I see the commercials for the show, I just want to cry. My sweet son won't be here to watch with me anymore. I try to remember where we were when we watched the last episodes of the season. I think Nick was in the hospital and it makes me so sad. I remember a few times when he was actually at home and he would lay his bald head on my lap and let me give him hugs and just be close. I will never get to do that ever again. I miss his voice, his physical presence, his quirky smile, his intelligence, so many things. The other day I found a comic strip that he really liked called Pearls Before Swine. The comic was particularly funny and made me laugh.

Last week I had my first dream of Nick. I saw him clearly and when I woke up I was upset because I didn't realize I was dreaming about Nick until I woke up and then it was too late for me to enjoy seeing him. I do remember that he was in his regular clothes and we weren't in the hospital. I remember thinking to myself, Oh wow, Nick is not hooked up to any machines or anything, so now we can have a real hug and snuggle. When Nick was in the hospital the last admission, he always wanted someone to come and be close, give him hugs, and hang out with him in the bed. He wasn't well enough to be up in a chair, so we came to him, whether it was Mom or Dad, Sara or Kate. While Nick loved to be out and about and spent most of his time doing just that when he was well, he was still a homebody and he loved to be around his family. In my dream, I got another snuggle. I hope I get some more. Dreams of Nick are bittersweet, I can see him but dreams are not enough. I want my boy back. I want to wake up from this nightmare and have someone tell me it was all a hoax.

I have gotten some books about losing an adult child. I have started one and I find myself saying "Yes, yes, I am not crazy." It is so good to know that what I am experiencing is not unusual, absurd, or crazy. I sometimes feel like I am losing my mind. I have lost my son and that is enough. I never thought I would be in this position, where there are so few people around me who actually know what this feels like...this grief business is hard work and I feel like the best course of action right now is to isolate myself from everyone because I cannot make them understand. I cannot make them read books and learn about what I am going through. So all I can do is find my own way right now. I know there are so many out there who will spend time me with me when I'm ready. I really need someone who will just listen to me tell my story, Nick's story over and over again until the pain stops. This is the only way I know to keep him with me. I cannot bear to let him go and I will do what I must to keep him with me forever.

12 comments:

Catherine said...

i am always here to listen - whenever you need it diane. I am glad you had a dream about Nick. Even though it is 'bittersweet', as you say, there's still the 'sweet' right? Thinking of you.
Catherine

Miss Vic said...

Hi Diane,
I just wrote this really long comment that I accidentally just erased, so for now I'm just going to say... I love you, I will always want to listen to stories about Nick and I'd been interested in reading one of those books.
Love,
Miss Vic

Anonymous said...

We are here for you, Diane. Sometimes we don't know what to say and we hope that's okay, too. But know that we haven't stopped caring or reading. Praying that someday, there will be peace....

Lots of love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Diane,
We read your blog because we do want to hear you talk about Nick. Not a day goes by that I don't think about you and wish you peace. You are loved by so many...

Debbie K.

Anonymous said...

The Cord
We are connected,
My child and I, by
An invisible cord
Not seen by the eye.

It's not like the cord
That connects us 'til birth
This cord can't been seen
By any on Earth.

This cord does it's work
Right from the start.
It binds us together
Attached to my heart.

I know that it's there
Though no one can see
The invisible cord
From my child to me.

The strength of this cord
Is hard to describe.
It can't be destroyed
It can't be denied.

It's stronger than any cord
Man could create
It withstands the test
Can hold any weight.

And though you are gone,
Though you're not here with me,
The cord is still there
But no one can see.

It pulls at my heart
I am bruised...I am sore,
But this cord is my lifeline
As never before.

I am thankful that God
Connects us this way
A mother and child
Death can't take it away!

FOX3 said...

I don't know of anything that I could say that would make things easier and there's nothing I can do that will magically make it better. If you would ever like to talk e-mail me and I'll give you my number. I can be reached almost anytime night or day. I have no degrees or certifications, but I can listen.
batman_95@hotmail.com

Brandon

Vicki T. said...

Diane,

I agree 100% with Debbie K. We want to hear everything you have to say. So happy that you saw Nick in your dream.

The poem "The Cord" left by anonomous is amazing. A reminder that you are not alone living with this kind of grief and most definitely not crazy.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. We are praying for you.

Love and Hugs,
Vicki T.

hockeychic said...

Sending you support from across the miles. Keep writing and saying whatever you need to say. We will read it and continue to honor Nick.

Anonymous said...

As everyone else has said - I too am here whenever you want to talk Nick. I love hearing all the stories about him - like you were telling me as we were preparing the pictures for the video. I'm also glad he visited you - I' know you've been waiting and wanting that for some time now. Just know that we are here for you when you're ready - we love you as do MANY MANY others ...
The other Pippen's

Carly said...

Ms. Diane,

I understand why you prefer isolation right now- I can only imagine the frustration you are experiencing, knowing that there are very few people out there who find themselves in your situation. But please know that there are many of us who read your blog (some of whom you may not even know!) because we desperately want to try to grasp your whirlwind of pain, grief, and sorrow; there is not much else anyone can do to make anyone hurt less. But we can listen to your story and listen to it again and listen to it again if that's what you need to do. Everyone on all sides of this is helpless and it really sucks.

But please remember- right outside your bubble of isolation stand a lot of people who care about you and want to hear anything and everything that you feel and think. I'm glad you got to dream about Nick. It is so bittersweet, though. John Mayer- "Dreaming with a Broken Heart"

Love, Carly

Anonymous said...

Diane,

Keep writing and we'll keep reading. When you are ready to come out, we will look forward to seeing you.

Love,
Maureen

Unknown said...

Diane-
I've been following Nick's story from the beginning through your posts. I'm a mother of 2 boys, often I hear "charish them as much as you can while you can b/c they grow up too fast". I never took it too seriously until I read your posts. Yes, I know time flys but what if I loss one or both? Am I being the best mom I can, will my boys know how much they mean to me and how like you their my world and that will never change. I'm not saying that I can imagine your pain, but I can only hope that it'll become easier everyday. I used to be Nicks classmate in Middle and highschool. after graduation, we lost touch, I'm hoping that through your stories, and by keeping his spirit alive I can get to hear what a wonderful young man he became, all because of you and your husband. I can only hope that I may raise my boys to be as accomplished, and caring as Nick will always be. Please keep expressing your thoughts, we're all hear to listen, and help in any way.

-Kelli