March 20, 2010

Standing On the Edge

As I travel through the blogosphere, I discover others who travel the same road. They too have lost their precious children. They share their pain as they try to find their way. The article below is reprinted here with permission from the author, Mr. John French. He lost his seventeen year old son, Brandon, on July 30th, 2009. Mr. French is a grieving father and his words speak so eloquently to the pain of losing a child.

Taking a Rest on the Journey through Grief by John French

Grief is an incredibly difficult venture, a monumental climb from the pit of despair. It is certainly an exhausting journey. It’s a journey in which now, months after the death of my child, I realize that I haven’t moved at all.

Even though others may perceive me to be progressing, my movement is lateral at best. As the span of time increases, it becomes more and more difficult to lift myself up. The days slip by, but the moments never escape me. The more I struggle to hold on, the more twisted and frayed my thoughts become. There is a fear attached to moving forward, as if continuing on diminishes the importance of where we have been. Exceeding that is a heightened awareness that there is no going back. It is in these moments that I feel completely stranded. I wander back and forth on contemplation’s narrow shelf.

On one hand nothing exceeds the sheer agony of death; on the other, absence creates a tremendous depression. As I struggle to unravel the endless strands of thought that death has me spinning, it occurs to me that there is some stability in the place in which I stand.
I’m on an outcropping of complacency between the height of anguish and the depths of sorrow.

With space enough to linger, to contemplate, commiserate and catch my breath, I sort through my feelings. I find myself discarding unnecessary thoughts and reflecting on the little things that always make me smile. Flickers from the past ignite memories that produces a warm inner glow. And, even though the future is unfolding, within this space, it does not obstruct my view.

I think there are instances when it’s best to stay focused on where you are. The enormity of what lies ahead is too overwhelming and looking back will only bring you down. Considering how much we have already suffered, a break is certainly something we are due. Pausing doesn’t restore my motivation to pursue life’s summit, but it keeps me from going over the edge.

To avoid seeming as though I am overlooking the point of our sadness, I’ve decided to extend myself, and offer a line that is purposely crafted to be uplifting. I do this not only to reach out to others, but so I might feel secure within the space I’ve found to rest.

“The lariat of love is so immeasurable that it easily extends from earth into heaven. So unbreakable that it binds them together. If we gather the strength to draw our selves a little closer, we will see those on the other side are pulling for us."

***************************************************

I am wondering how long one can live on an "outcropping of complacency" and what kind of life that would be? This was not the life I signed up for, but, now, this is the life I've got. Grief counselors will caution those grieving to live in the present in hopes of keeping the bereaved from becoming overwhelmed with an uncertain future. The problem is my future, my hopes and my dreams, died with my son. Right now it feels like this narrow shelf is all I have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane
Although I've never known you well, we've lived the same community for all the years our children were growing up. I never really talked to Nick until shortly before he went into the hospital for the last time. I think of that time so often and how impressed I was at his maturity, his kindness, his willingness to communicate with someone of another generation. He obviously got his good qualities from his parents, who raised a magnificent human being. I have been mourning him along with you and your family, although I can't fathom the depth of your grief. Nick was a special young man and you accompanied that difficult journey with him from the moment of his diagnosis until his last breathe. I pray for you and your family often. This will never be over for any of you, but hopefully God will eventually help to make it a little less raw. So many people loved Nick and love you, Glenn and Sara. I hope that helps in some small way for you to know that. You are grieving in your time, in your own way. Thanks for your blog which helps us to be on your journey with you. You are not alone.

Pattie Matheson said...

Keep putting one foot in front of the other. Baby steps, Diane, baby steps are good enough.

mary said...

Dear Diane,

I do not know what to say. If there can be any comfort for you, you now understand what you are feeling is natural. I can not imagine there is any greater pain then losing a chid. Diane, is would be so great if you and Mr. John French could meet and together be grief counselors. Both of you understanding that raw pain, and you both have the ability to explain and express those feeling.
I truly do believe Nick is giving us this beautiful weather because he knows his mom is in a dark place. He wants you to feel the warmth of the sun on your face. In reading the comments, someone wrote something beautiful about Nick. How proud you must be. See Diane, Nick has left an impact on many people, I am sure many you do not even know about. Hang in there, sweetie, I believe Nick in time will lead you to a path that the pain can become more bearable. Again I am so sorry you have to suffer so.
Love,
Mary E.