March 17, 2010

A Stony Path


If God sends you down a stony path,
may he give you strong shoes.

Last year, we spent St. Patrick's day in the hospital. Today would be Day 9/58! Nick's breathing continued to be an issue, so much so that we were worried that he would be able to tolerate lying face down in the radiation mask. Well Nick was determined and he said he could do it. So, Nick started his first cranio-spinal radiation treatment on this date one year ago. Looking back, I think we were all completely unaware that it was St. Patrick's Day, so deep were we into the unknown and the fear that this stony path would lead us nowhere we wanted to be. It seems like just yesterday that Nick and all of us were living that nightmare.

Dear Lord,
Give me a few friends who will love me for what I am,
and keep ever burning before my vagrant steps the kindly light of hope...
And though I come not within sight of the castle of my dreams,
teach me to be thankful for life
and for time's olden memories that are good and sweet.
And may the evening's twilight find me gentle still.

2 comments:

mary said...

Dear Diane,

I remember seeing the picture you posted of that horrible mask your brave son wore. I also remember you saying he had to be real still or they would have to start all over again. How you do that with an oxygen masked taped on I have no clue. I remember thinking each time one less torture treatment left. What a brave young man. Well, I think this St. Patrick's Day Nick is having some green beer and saying thank goodness that nightmare is over. He probably is having a toast to his dear family, girlfriend and friends, with an extra thanks to his mom for being his rock. I like to think this beautiful weather is a gift from Nick to you Diane, since he knows how tough things are for you. I know Nick wants you to feel sunshine on your face again. SO I say a toast to Nick, a young man with the fight of a warrior and the spirit of an angel.
Love,
Mary

Pattie Matheson said...

I too remember that mask. And I was just talking with someone about it yesterday. Your blog during that tine had such a tremendous effect on me.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places."
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms