May 27, 2010

Flags In 2010

We who are left how shall we look again
Happily on the sun or feel the rain
Without remembering how they who went
Ungrudgingly and spent
Their lives for us loved, too, the sun and rain?
~Wilfred Wilson Gibson


Today at Arlington Cemetery the "flags-in" ceremony will take place at 4PM. Soldiers from the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) will be joined by service members from the U.S. Marine Corps Ceremonial and Guard Company, U.S. Navy Ceremonial Guard, U.S. Air Force Honor Guard and the U.S. Coast Guard Ceremonial Honor Guard in placing more than 250,000 grave decorating flags at Arlington National Cemetery. The flags will remain through Memorial Day.

On thy grave the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation! ~Thomas William Parsons

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Diane -
I do love your spirit. Your posts over the last two days have moved me to tears, and I did not feel I could write anything that would do justice to them. However, when I checked your blog just now, expecting to see the picture of Nick, and saw what you wrote of the soldiers, it gave me a new jolt of respect for you, and I wanted you to know it. Please tell Sara I said congratulations, and Glenn I said hi. And, know that I'm giving you a big hug in my mind. Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Catherine