
This photo was taken on May 25th, 2009. Nick had only been home about twelve days. His head was still bald from the effects of the radiation treatments in April and of course, he had to wear the oxygen continuously. This was a rare moment when Nick actually was able to go outside and enjoy not being cooped up in the house or at the hospital. If I didn't know better, when I look at this picture, I might be able to convince myself that Nick was actually getting better; but, this was far from the truth and looks can be deceiving. Although Nick looks very pale, he seems to be relatively comfortable. However anytime Nick would move he would get into significant breathing distress. When Nick was sitting still or lying down, his lungs could manage (with the help of oxygen and an increased HR) to questionably meet his bodies demand. Nick's continued weight loss and inability to gain weight were also a significant indicator of the degree of Nick's lung damage. ANY kind of normal activity of daily living would cause Nick to rapidly decompensate, therefore, he was not able to do even the most simple tasks of self-care. I do not believe ANYONE at the HOP understood the extent of Nick's deterioration before they discharged him from the hospital both times in May!
Much earlier that day, Nick tried to get in the shower and sit and wash up. Pretty much from the moment he got in, he started breathing hard and feeling really bad. I helped him wash up as fast as I could so he could get out. He was SITTING on a shower chair with his oxygen on full tilt. He couldn't even breathe let alone wash up. His color was changing in front of my eyes. He looked so bad I was afraid he was going to pass out in the tub. Nick NEVER got a shower or normal bath ever again. Sometimes when I get in the shower this memory comes back to haunt me and I just cry and cry and the water washes away the tears but not the sadness and grief I feel for my poor sweet Nickolas and all he suffered...how even the simplest of things were taken from him. When I read my notes from this day it just breaks my heart. The shirt Nick is wearing is folded up on his bed. I cry and hold it close to me most every night before I go to bed. His posture shows a position that people often take subconsciously to help air move in and out of there lungs more easily when there is a problem with breathing or oxygenation. It has been very hard for me lately. I don't know why. All I know is that I carry this deep sadness with me no matter what is going on in my life. I miss my sweet boy so much. Here are my notes from that day.
1. RESP STATUS:
Nick increasing more SOB, with HR baseline elevated. Increased stress with activity, HR up, RR up, WOB up and having to rest a lot. Increasing O2 demand at rest and w/ activity. Spent most of weekend on 4-6L
93-94% on 4L w/ HR 130 bpm RR = 28/min. 94-95% w/ HR 108-114 bpm
Still w/ junky cough despite dosing w/ cough syrup for past week.
BS on right side diminished and hyperresonant BS especially in RUL; crepitus seems to be decreasing but still w/ audible crackles scattered throughout lung fields.
Exp wheezing noted on RUL
2. SHOWER - Nick had breakfast in bed, then planned to get washed up. Rested in bed for quite a while (hour to hour and a half) Then Nick decided that he had to use the BR before getting in shower. When done, Nick sat on chair in tub, I had to basically wash him up. He was VERY SOB THE ENTIRE TIME! RR WAS UP AND HE WAS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE ON 6L NC!! The whole process took 30-45 minutes.
3. Appetite good, but no weight gain.
4. Started Nystatin swish & spit due to thrush in back of throat.
5. PREDNISONE - decreased to 40mg/day since Saturday, May 23rd. Question if Nick's lungs are tolerating this decrease.
6. Nick very pale. Not sure why!!
7. Email to Dr. Pants....he wants Nick to come down to the Hop tomorrow to get a CT scan and start back on higher dose steriods...Nick not happy about this. Not sure what he will want to do...I hate steroids!

1 comment:
Diane,
My thoughts and prayers are with you all the time. You are correct when you look at the picture it looks like Nick maybe on the rebound. Of course he is pale and thin, but I also would have thought he must be getting better, they send him home. I am so glad he had that day to sit outside and enjoyed the outdoors and his family.
I know your memories haunt you, and again I am so so sorry you had to go through any of that.
I know you will always be hurt, but I will continue to pray time begins to heal that broken heart, just a little bit.
Love,
Mary E.
Post a Comment