August 21, 2008

Drink The Wild Air

Reading my favorite milblogging soldier guy...AKA Suspect, brought up the subject of swimming. And since the whole world is still all lathered up with Phelps Phan Phrenzy, I figured I would go off on a little tangent about swimming.

I have many fond childhood memories of time spent swimming. One of the best things my parents ever did was join the local swim club.
Every summer all six of us were like lemmings to the sea, literally. We lived at that pool. Spent hours perfecting our strokes..."butter, back breast, free! The freedom found in water being the best part. Pushing off the wall and feeling the water stream past. A dolphin kick to the bottom, suspended in time and space, weightless.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Night swimming was always the best. The air cool, the water warm, a silky cocoon enveloping us in a silent world where for a moment all was still and yet, moving at the same time. No fear, no worries, a respite for the weary. I think it has been way too long since I have been swimming.

"Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim." ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and buying reese's peanut butter cups and letting them sit out in the sun till they were gooey....and doing "synchronized" swimming with my sisters....life seemed easier then.

I am sad and nervous and irritable at my desk today....wish I could be with you in Baltimore as this ugly journey begins. I am sending internet hugs your way.

Love, your seester.