August 20, 2008

Victory of the People











It is hard to believe that twenty-five years ago to day, I was very pregnant and expecting my first born son. Nick's due date was August 20th! Being the stubborn "Leo" that he is, he decided to delay his entrance into this world for an additional three weeks. Nickolas was born on September 11th, 1982. Of course, now he is officially a Virgo, but, he is still a stubborn Leo.

I am not really into astrological signs, but, they can be amazingly accurate. So on this day of his BMT class, my thoughts have turned to happier times, although eighteen hours of back labor during a time when giving birth "naturally" was in vogue, was not really a very happy experience. I strongly urge anyone I know to get the epidural! After those eighteen hours of extreme pain, it was determined that my big-headed son was not entering the world via normal pathways. No, this birth was going to cause me to have a lovely scar way before the doctors were kind enough to give you a bikini incision. So my three weeks overdue son was born on September 11th at 1930 hours. He was a big one, weighing in at 8lbs. 11oz. He was never really tiny like the little one in the picture. Nick was three months old on that day he was born, all wide-eyed and bushy-tailed, with a curious face, a very loud cry and very big hands and feet. His legendary long toes were evident right from that very first night and I found myself missing the kicks I would feel when he was cradled safely inside his Mama.

When I finally got to hold him in my arms, it was love at first sight. I remember thinking to myself, "Now I know why mothers name their children "Angel." He was my little angel, but, I thought better of naming him that. He was supposed to be a "Matthew" and he was actually without a name for two or three days. If there was a reason that we named him Nickolas, I don't remember. But, it has always suited him. The name means, "victory of the people" and Saint Nicholas was known as the patron saint of children. I still believe he is a mix of Leo (generous, warmhearted, creative, faithful and loving) and Virgo (modest, shy, reliable, intelligent and analytical). Be strong my son and I will be strong for you; between my Aries and your Leo we have enough stubborn to stop that leukemia in it's tracks. I love you forever and always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have you all in our thoughts and prayers. We love you lots!
Vic & Michael

"For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."
Deuteronomy 20:4