March 15, 2009

Fungus Among Us - Part Two

Today we were told that Nick has a fungal infection going on in his lungs. The samples that were taken in the bronchoscopy are growing some yet to be determined fungus. While it is good we know what we are treating, or at least one thing for sure, it is bad because this can be a very serious matter.

Nick continues to struggle with his breathing and any exertion of any kind, even talking, is a struggle for him. Due to the new info today, Nick was taken off Ambisome and put on Voriconazole IV. This is also an anti-fungal medication and he got his first dose while I was at home recovering from my stay in the chair from hell. Also, when I returned Nick was hooked up to monitoring and had a new nurse. It seems that when you are on oxygen greater than or equal to 60%, it is policy that you must be on monitoring and you must have one of the critical care RN's taking care of you.

I was very happy about all this extra attention because Nick should have had it yesterday. In the morning, the Respiratory Therapist came in to do a treatment and I asked her how much oxygen was delivered by the simple face mask that Nick was on...she told me it is hard to say but, maybe like 44%?? Then Nick was switched over to a high flow oxygen mask at 60% and his sats have been much better - he should have been on this all of yesterday as well!

I am not going to write a lot tonight, because I am so tired and I need to go to bed and get some rest. I am still very worried, but, I felt comfortable coming home tonight as Nick is now being monitored by machines and more experienced ICU nurses. A fungal lung infection is never good, but, at least we know who the enemy is now and therefore, we can plan an attack. I will try to give a better update on my next post. Please keep Nick in your thoughts and prayers.

I am putting the Bowling Ball Fungus on my player because it makes me laugh. And I need to laugh right now or all I will do is cry. Nick and I listened to this "crank call" this morning and we both got a big kick out of it. We hope you do to.

No comments: