The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.” ~
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Nick continues to struggle with this formidable enemy. The doctors made themselves scarce today, although Dr. Frosty has returned and came to see Nick today. Nick's breathing has not improved and it seems he has hit a plateau in his recovery on that front. This is of grave concern as this fungal pneumonia is nothing to take for granted. The doctors have decided to change one of his meds. They are taking him off the Voriconazole and putting him back on the dreaded "Ampho-Terrible," in hopes that this will be able to kick this stubborn fungus.
In addition, it has been decided to stop Nick's Dasatinib (the oral chemo agent that fights his PH chromosome + CML) in the hope that his counts will recover. Nick's WBC and neutrophil counts are very l ow and they need to be higher in order for Nick's immune system to function properly.
He needs these cells to fight the infection badly. Taking Nick off the Dasatinib is a gamble and we are all hoping it pays off for the good. The hope is that while Nick continues his radiaiton treatments, this will keep the CML at bay in his spinal fluid.
Nick continues his radiation treatments. He has completed EIGHT of the twelve to date. I think the radiation "fatigue" is catching up with him as he slept much of the day. It has been so hard to watch Nick go through this latest triple whammy of infection, radiation, and low counts. All of these things cause your body to feel horrible...so I cannot begin to imagine how it feels to have all three of them ganging up on Nick's poor body. It seems that I cry every night on my way home. Of late I am always torn about leaving him and I only go home because there is no where to sleep and I was exhausted from spending just one night in that horrible place. Have to go to bed...please keep Nick in your prayers and let him know that you are thinking of him with your cards, letters, emails etc. Nick is really not ready for a lot of visitors yet, but, he does need to know that everyone out there loves him and supports him.
In addition, it has been decided to stop Nick's Dasatinib (the oral chemo agent that fights his PH chromosome + CML) in the hope that his counts will recover. Nick's WBC and neutrophil counts are very l ow and they need to be higher in order for Nick's immune system to function properly.
He needs these cells to fight the infection badly. Taking Nick off the Dasatinib is a gamble and we are all hoping it pays off for the good. The hope is that while Nick continues his radiaiton treatments, this will keep the CML at bay in his spinal fluid.
Nick continues his radiation treatments. He has completed EIGHT of the twelve to date. I think the radiation "fatigue" is catching up with him as he slept much of the day. It has been so hard to watch Nick go through this latest triple whammy of infection, radiation, and low counts. All of these things cause your body to feel horrible...so I cannot begin to imagine how it feels to have all three of them ganging up on Nick's poor body. It seems that I cry every night on my way home. Of late I am always torn about leaving him and I only go home because there is no where to sleep and I was exhausted from spending just one night in that horrible place. Have to go to bed...please keep Nick in your prayers and let him know that you are thinking of him with your cards, letters, emails etc. Nick is really not ready for a lot of visitors yet, but, he does need to know that everyone out there loves him and supports him.

1 comment:
The font on this entry is different. I wonder if that had something to do with the problem you had? Just an idea...
Post a Comment