March 13, 2009

No Frills

Just a quick no frills post from Nick's hospital room. I can't post any pictures from here, and I don't know what kind of picture would do justice to the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I have been dealing with all day. Nick has been really struggling!! His breathing has become worse over time as each day here has progressed. Today when I arrived Nick was quiet and still did not feel well. He had a rough night with a fever and lots of people taking VS etc. Then after he got up to use the bathroom, he came out to his bed and was grey, breathing fast, and looking terrible. I called the nurse who checked his sats which were down below 90! Then I had to start raising cain as to what the hell has been going with Nick and what are they doing to help him! The doctor came and gave me the same song and dance...long story, let's just say, I didn't like his dance or his song. Long story short, the latest CT scan is now showing signs of infection/pneumonia. Therefore, the ID doctor (we like a lot) came and examined Nick and gave her orders. Nick will be starting some new medicines and the dreaded "Ampho-terrible." He has been on this before (back in the early days). It is nasty but, they feel strongly that Nick needs this coverage.

For now Nick is hanging on...and the hope is he won't end up on a breathing machine. We are praying that one of these medicines kicks in and starts making all this nastiness go away!! I have been sick with worry. Nick also spiked a fever today of 102F, which also adds evidence to the infection side of the diagnosis ledger. The only good thing is that this puts the OTHER BAD possibility farther down on the list! Because we don't want Nick to have that one either!

Depending on how Nick is doing, I am so worried that I may even have to spend the night. I have never felt the need to spend the night at any point in this process. But, I know Nick feels really bad and he has absolutely no reserve to even get up to use the bathroom. So right now, I am waiting to see how the night progresses. Nick is listening to the Terps game and Kate is here as well to keep him mind occupied with other things than how hard it is to breathe.

For all my medical buddies out there, here's the 411 on the medical stuff:
1. Fever - blood cultures done per protcol once/24 hours period
2. Results from NP viral panel - negative
3. Results from BAL - negative
4. Continues to run with low WBC (although up from yesterday) = 2290 ANC = 270
5. Hemtocrit - 28.7
6. No blood gasses drawn
7. Went from 6l NC, to some kind of face mask, but, I don't know what % O2 is delivers
8. Sats vary - usually running low 90's on O2
9. Resp Rate - up from baseline in 20's (already high for 26 year old guy) to 30's on bedrest, to 40's with ANY KIND OF ACTIVITY!
10. HR - high 130's, up to 140's with activity
11. After last BR trip his color was grey and he was using accessory muscles and nasal flaring
12. Nail beds dusky, pulses ok,
13. Chest tight, unable to take deep breaths; Albterol nebs q6
14. Still with only a 22 guage IV
15. NO ambu bag or mask in the room
16. Lytes stable - CO2 on lytes on low side
17. BP stable so far
Well, enough said for now...I will post again soon as I know something more. Please keep Nick in your hearts and prayers. For now, I don't think he is ready for visitors, but, I will let you know if that changes.

No comments: