March 10, 2009

Little Turtle Guy












I feel like this little turtle guy is Nick trying to make it to the safety of the ocean. He is still just a newborn in bone marrow transplant years. He is so vulnerable out here on this great expanse of beach. The tiny steps are excruciatingly slow and painful to watch at times, but, I cannot take the steps for him. I can only stand guard and do what I can to protect him from unseen dangers.

On Monday, Nick was admitted to the hospital again. Dr. Pants felt that this was the best course of action considering Nick's recent collection of symptoms. Nick will be treated with IV antibiotics. Blood tests were done, chest and sinus CT scans also. The radiation treatments have been put on hold for the next 24-48 hours, depending on Nick's progress. My biggest concerns right now consist of one old and one new finding. The old is his weight loss and his inability to really eat any solid food due to the condition of his mouth. For now he will have to stick with soft foods and lots of shake type drinks.

My new concern is what is causing Nick to have low oxygen levels. After Nick was admitted, they checked his "sats" with a machine called a pulse oximeter. Nick's level was very low. Nick has never had any problems with his oxygen saturations in the past. This is not a test they do down in the clinic area, so who know how long this has been going on. The doctors have yet to come up with a diagnosis that explains why Nick's O2 sats would be low. In the meanwhile, Nick has to be on some oxygen to keep his sats closer to normal. He is currently on what is called a nasal cannula which has little prongy things that go in your nose and blow oxygen up there. Of course, he doesn't like it, but, his sats are not even normal with the nasal cannula so he has to wear it.

I am not surprised that Nick was admitted, but, the ride home with just his coat in the car made me so sad. I do not like him being in the hospital and I miss him already. I am hoping that this will be just a small blip on the radar and soon this little turtle guy will find his way to the safety of the sea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a really good analogy, big D. he's a little, vulnerable sea turtle. but he's going to make it to the ocean and grow up to be a big ole sea turtle. and he'll come back to the beach one day to lay his eggs! (whatever that means)

Annie - Steven's mom said...

....and I will keep believing that your little turtle will make it safely back to health again someday in the not too distant future.

I love how you attach feelings to photos.

Big hug
love and light
Annie
http://livingwithcml.blogspot.com