March 28, 2010

Longing of the Soul













This is my poor sweet boy with his "Woodstock" hair, trying to rest after his radiation treatments had started. I don't remember what specific day it was, but, I am pretty sure it was near the end of March 2009. His hair had started to fall out again due to all the radiation, leaving him with his little Woodstock poofies. Nick hadn't yet decided to shave it all off, that would come later in this admission.

On this date last year, Nick was still in Room 1 on 5B. It was the weekend and I showed up later in the afternoon with Aunt Barbara to find everyone gathered in Nick's room. Nick had gone into a breathing fit after a trip to the bathroom and they had to call the nurse and doctor to his room because he couldn't breathe! This was not the first episode breathing difficulty nor would it be the last. I remember the horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I showed up "late" for the first time since Nick had been admitted to find things going down the dumper. The doctor wanted to get some blood to check Nick's breathing numbers, but, I think he was so anxious and scared he didn't want them to draw it right then. Plus this test is painful; they have to stick a needle straight into your wrist while trying to find the radial artery which is like the size of a piece of thread. Nick was coughing and coughing and he couldn't catch his breath. The effort of Nick just trying to walk to the bathroom was all it took to send him into significant respiratory distress. And yet, throughout this admission and the months prior to it, the general reaction seemed to be..."Is this a problem?" Well this time, it must have been pretty bad, because everyone came a running and they couldn't blame it on me, cause I WASN'T EVEN THERE!!!! When I did arrive, I had no idea what had happened. It was very scary. They had to take Nick off his cannula and put him back on his high flow face mask at a much higher oxygen level. After some time had passed, Nick was able to catch his breath and settle down a little bit. I believe at this point we were already using the fan to blow on Nick to try and help him relax and cool down. I can't remember everything, I just remember how horrible it felt, the sheer terror of watching Nickolas go through all this and how awful it felt to be powerless to help him. To watch someone you love, let alone your child, go through this kind of suffering, well I can't begin to describe how much that hurts in my heart every day.

On that day, we did our best to push our fears to the back of our minds. We kept asking questions, we kept challenging the doctors to figure out what the hell was going on with Nick and his breathing. No one seemed to understand the severity of his lung damage at this point and they certainly did not know why. This was not their focus. They were focused on the leukemia and the radiation and looking for infections that were debated by their own infectious disease doctors. For us, there was nothing to do but keep pushing onward. I can remember this time like it was yesterday...all of it! This was about the time that Dr. Gallstone (formerly known as Dr. ??) showed up and made things even worse with his arrogant, supercilious and pompous attitude. Why did we have to deal with those kind of people when Nick was so sick and hurting so much? What lesson was I supposed to learn from that experience? I just don't even know what to say sometimes about all Nick went through at the hands of these punks! Definition of punk: a disrespectful, rude, or otherwise unpleasant person! (Now I don't throw all of the people at the Hop into this category...just a select few!) However, when someones life is hanging in the balance you shouldn't have to deal with any punks! As Glenn just threw in..."Life should be punk free!"

I miss my sweet boy with all of my heart and soul. I grieve for him today as I have done every day since his death. I am working hard at this grieving thing. It is exhausting work. I should not wonder why I am tired all the time. The longing I feel for my son is not something I can well put into words. I want to see Nick's face, see his smile, hold his hand and feel it's warmth, and hear his voice say, "I love you Mom." I know I am not going to get what I want.

Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart. Mahatma Gandhi

There is no past that we can bring back by longing for it. There is only an eternally new now that builds and creates itself out of the Best as the past withdraws. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

5 comments:

mary said...

Dear Diane,

I can not begin to imagine the horror you all went through. Why this has to happen, I do not know. Poor Nick, dealing with all he had to and a PUNK of a doctor on top of it all. How you did not smash that PUNK doctor in the face, I do not know. You are stronger than me, that's for sure. Glenn is right, the world could do without the punks. Just know there are many of us keeping you in our prayers. I just have to believe Nick is at peace. I know you are not, like you said no one should have to lose their child. But just remember you were so lucky to have had Nick as your son. He will always be you sweet boy.
Love,
Mary E

Unknown said...

Diane,
you have no idea how much this affects me. how badly i want to do something to help. how mad it makes me at those assholes who won't listen to laypeople. Just HOW. Keep writing, we'll keep reading, and at some point they will know what they did was wrong.
Catherine.

Anonymous said...

Seester,
My poor sweet Nick.....he looks so lost in these pictures. No light in his eyes, no smile in his heart. I am glad I have other pictures of the Nick we knew and loved. With his happy eyes and crazy little smile! Love you seester.

Judy said...

Diane,

We have another friend whose 23 yo son had melonoma. They had so many similar experiences. When I hear about Hopkins and University being the "best", I think "at what?" And the only answer I can come up with is "treating people like numbers!" I am so thankful Barrett left University for Dr Fleishman at Franklin Square. He listens and he engages his patients.The only way University knew how to communicate was "300 people in a triple blind study over 24 months, yadda yadda yadda." Who wants to hear that when you are one person with one need? Yet, they stand proud on their "reputation". Give me a small community hospital any day!
Take care of yourself and know that there are lots of us pulling for you. There's not a day that you, your family and Nick are not in my thoughts.

Pattie Matheson said...

Hi Diane - you're doing great in spite of how it feels. Nick was lucky to have such a strong mom to advocate for him. I think of you and your family every day and hope your daughter and husband are successfully working their way thru this horrible time.