June 18, 2008

Baseball & Moonlight

Another day of tech week in the books. I drive home on dark, windy roads, the full moon watches me as I wearily find my way home.
I call home to say I am on my way and check on Nick.

For some reason, when I call home, Glenn answers the phone..."Diamond Dance Center can I help you?"

"It's me...I am on my way home. How's Nick?"
"Oh...he's at the baseball game."

Oh yeah...that is such a weird and wonderful feeling at the same time. Nick is off at the baseball game. I guess he must be feeling a lot better. I come home to my hubby who has been working on a chore list as long as my arm. He fixes me dinner and I find it very strange that Nick is not home. Then I start to wonder...did he take a jacket? It is so cool out tonight...he will catch pneumonia. The game is on the television and Glenn & I joke about seeing Nick in the crowd. (This is a regular thing we do for some odd reason) Anyway, not too long after the game is over, Nick and Kate arrive home. They only stayed about four innings...but, Nick seems happy to have gotten some time out of the house, spend some time with Kate, and he finally got to go to a game.

His day at John's Hopkins was positive. His counts were good and he did not need any transfusions today. He got some new anti-nausea and anti-vomiting meds. They gave him an IV in order to give him some fluids (Nick's choice) hoping to make him feel better as dehydration can also make one nauseous. Unfortunately, he lost four pounds! I am not surprised as he has been unable to eat or really drink much since Friday. Nick was bummed about that as he is trying to put on weight in preparation for his BMT. No news of any kind on that front.

Nick's hair has decided it can no longer withstand the dastardly effects of the Gleevac. It has decided to pack it's bags and head for greener pastures, like the couch, the chair, the pillow, Nick's shirts, the tub and anywhere else it can find to take up new residence. Nick is thinking about shaving it down to a #1, but, I am not sure how that will work, so we will see. We are hoping for a brighter day tomorrow and we have a plan in place to beat back the waves of nausea and hold the emesis at bay. If things are not better by Friday, the nurse said they will have to make a new plan, whatever that means. Until then, we hope to spend a couple of peaceful days and nights enjoying the time together in the cool of the evening and maybe do some dancing in the moonlight.

No comments: