Sometimes life is a blur...like a merry-go-round spinning wildly out of control. Today went by so fast. I slept too late and awakened from a bad dream that made me cry and made me mad and made me say curse words and take the Lord's name in vain at the same time.Nick is still feeling under the weather. He started off the morning getting sick again...but, managed to go the rest of the day without further incident. Glenn and Kate were on duty as I was off to Kennard Dale for Day #2 of tech week. Nick will be off to clinic tomorrow for his regular appointment. We did get a call from the nurse who told him he would not be getting the LP and chemo tomorrow. I was relieved to hear that, but, Kate told me it was because the test on the spinal fluid was not done yet; so, not to get too excited. Kate will be taking Nick tomorrow and I hope to be sending a list of concerns and questions to make sure that this Friday will not be a repeat of last week.
Tonight, I wanted to point out some of the positive things that have happened in the past few days...you know that is not my forte, so I guess I will just have to practice a lot more.
We got a call today from a lovely lady named Cynthia who is a registered nurse from the Outreach Program with Guardian (Nick's insurance company). She was calling to check on Nick and "see how he was doing." She was very nice and she gave us a lot of information and websites to check, a 24-hour nurse hot line that we can call anytime for questions or help, and so much more.
We got in touch with Nick's insurance customer service department and Nick got Aunt Elaine and myself on the list of people who can call to take care of the financial part of all this. Aunt Elaine has agreed to run interference for us on all this and that will be such a big help.
So many of the families at DDC have been so kind in offering their help and support. So far, tech week has been going well and I am looking forward to having a wonderful week leading up to the performances this coming weekend.
We have received cards and notes from so many and today, I received another card from Lt. K, just letting me know that SHE was thinking of ME!! It definitely made me smile. 1st Lt. K is an RN I have adopted who is currently serving in Iraq with the 86th Combat Support Hospital. She has been in the Army for twelve years. She has three young children at home that she is missing while she is away on this deployment. I had just begun writing her and sending her care packages when Nick was hospitalized. I wrote her briefly to explain why I might be a little off in sending her stuff for a while...she wrote me back and she was so supportive and nice. She has sent me several hand written cards since, which amazes me, as I know how busy she is and the stress that she is under. Her job over there is so demanding, both physically and emotionally. I truly admire all the medical personnel that are serving in Iraq and I plan to continue my support as best as I can. She will not be coming home until February of 2009! I have requested help from our DDC families and I know they will come through with donations that will help Lt. K and all of her patients and staff.
I also got an email today from another soldier who has just recently returned from a 15-month deployment in Iraq. His blog was what inspired me to start my own blog, which of course, no one was reading or really knew about until recently. His blog was so good. What I liked about his blog was that he really told it like it was for him there in Iraq; the daily grind of what he was experiencing as a soldier, the good, the bad, and the ugly! He is back in the states now and I had emailed him to see how he was doing...I didn't expect to hear back so quick, but, today I did. I am happy to report, he is doing OK. He went to Iraq in March of 2007 and I am just really glad he is finally home!
Well, I guess that is all I for now. When I know more, I will let everyone know. Keep the prayers and good vibes coming our way. Those that are calling or emailing Nick, please continue as he enjoys reading his emails and hearing from his friends and family seems to be keeping his spirits up as much as can be expected. Today he said he would rather have the headache than the nausea and vomiting, which I fully understand. But, it made me sad, because I don't want him to have any kind of pain! He had been doing so well with his appetite and his eating and that has been shot to hell the last couple days. I am hoping the medications can be adjusted so he can get more relief when he does take them. It is late and I must go get some sleep.

No comments:
Post a Comment