
Today's trip to the hospital was a real pisser...and I mean literally, it took us over an hour and fifty minutes to get to JHH outpatient clinic due to an accident on I95. What should have been a 30-minute trip turned into and hour and fifty-minute journey. Upon arrival the blood drawing area and the heme-oncology waiting areas were packed with people! It reminded Nick of going to the MVA, where all you do is "take a number," have a seat and "hurry up and wait." Upon arrival, our first trip was to the almighty admitting area to get Nick and Sara their "orange cards." The orange cards track your travel through the maze of clinics and labs, making sure that you are billed for the pleasure. After the orange cards were secured, Nick and Sara scanned their bar codes and joined the sea of humanity that was waiting to have labs drawn. Nick continues to have headaches, so he was taken back so he could lie down. Fortunately, they both had labs drawn in a reasonable amount of time and we were told we were done in this area, so we should mosey on up to the second floor and wait for the results. "Don't forget to swipe out before you leave. Thank you for flying Southwest airlines...you are free to fly about the country!"
The outpatient area was also crowded with patients, so we swiped in again and then headed off to look for food and drink. Upon our return, Nick was taken back to a new area, set-up with chairs, window beds and stretchers. Nick was lying on the stretcher with his long legs hanging off the end and a big hole in his sock. The nurse came in with the results. Nick's WBC is even lower today and his ANC (absolute neutrophil count) is only 44! It is not unexpected that these counts keep falling, it just means he is still at high risk for infection. His platlets were also a little low, so he received two units of platelets via peripheral IV, since he doesn't have any other way to get the stuff right now.
Sara & I came home, while Nick and Kate stayed and finished the transfusion. I then proceeded to get ready to go to the studio. Sara was lucky enough to catch a nap. I am very tired tonight, so I must go to bed. Nick's next appointment is on Thursday. We did not speak to anyone about the plans for BMT, how and when we will find out if Sara is a match and what will happen if she is not. There is only a one in four chance that she will be a match.
Nick had a good day, he did a lot more than normal so, he was resting on the couch by the time I got home from dance last night. He had a few friends over in the evening and Kate also spent some time with Nick here at the house. I am happy that he will be home for the next two days, so he can rest. His next appointment is this Thursday. So I guess no news is good news. I will keep everyone posted as I am able. Thank you and good night.

No comments:
Post a Comment